1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bypassing password protection

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dogpoundmike, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dogpoundmike

dogpoundmike Thread Starter

I received a Dell running W98 from a friend who forgot their password. I cant get into safe mode or startup. Dell wants to charge me per minute to get me in. Any ideas out there?
    Thanks, Mike

2. Del

Del

Does the password request come up before the windows desktop? Could be a bios password or windows password??
    If it's a windows password you can put in a different username and leave the password blank and and click ok. You won't see it again. If it's the bios password, you probably have to pull the battery on the motherboard to get it to default to no password..

3. Jtoast

Jtoast

if its a windows password, hit escape when it asks you for a password.

To reset all the windows passwords, run a search for *.pwl and delete each instance.

If its a bios password (before windows) then you will need to pull the battery or short the cmos jumper on the motherboard to clear it.

4. Del

Del

wow, thought I just said that.
    Anyway, you don't need to trash the *.pwl files just yet.
    Let's see what the problem is before we fix it.

:D

5. dogpoundmike

dogpoundmike Thread Starter

Its a bios password. I will remove/replace the battery tomorrow. The comp is at work.....
    Mike

6. Del

Del

If it's the bios password, then you have to remove or bypass the battery to get it to reset..
    Good luck tomorrow.

7. Cowboy622

Cowboy622

BIOS password
    If you haven't set a password it may be using a default password. Try the following (case is significant):
    AWARD_SW (may override a set password)
    AMI
    AMI_SW
    AMI!SW/
    AMI?SW/
    AWARD (possibly also Award)
    AWARD?SW
    AWARD_SW
    alfarome
    aLLy
    bios
    BIOSTAR
    biostar
    cmos
    concat
    efmukl
    HLT
    j256
    j262 (may override a set password)
    LKWPETER
    lkwpeter
    SER
    setup
    shift+s y x z.
    SKY_FOX
    Syxz
    Wodj
    If that doesn't work, download and run killcmos at Http://users.pwernet.co.uk/sysserv1/killcmos.zip . This program will reset the BIOS to the default settings. That may include a default password in which case retry the defaults listed above.
    If all else fails, check out Password Crackers Inc. at http://www.pwcrack.com/BIOS/bios.html (I have no personal experience with this site so you're on your own). Everything you ever wanted to know about AMI BIOS is available here at Http://www.cubix.com/support/vendors/ami/amisetup.htm . Everything you ever wanted to know about any BIOS is available here http://www.wimsbios.com/ (if you can find it, its not the best organized site).
    At boot-up note the BIOS provider (Award, AMI, Phoenix, IBM, etc.)
    For Award BIOS’ try these backdoor passwords:
    AWARD_SW
    j262
    HLT
    SER
    SKY_FOX
    BIOSTAR
    ALFAROME
    Lkwpeter
    j256
    AWARD?SW
    LKWPETER
    syxz
    ALLy
    awkward
    CONCAT
    d8on
    CONDO
    j64
    szyx
    For AMI BIOS’ try these backdoor passwords:
    AMI
    BIOS
    PASSWORD
    HEWITT RAND
    AMI?SW
    AMI_SW
    LKWPETER
    A.M.I.
    CONDO
    For PHOENIX BIOS’ try this backdoor password:
    phoenix
    These backdoor passwords have been provided to you free of charge. If you have attempted to use these backdoor passwords on a system (even just as a test), we would appreciate knowing whether these backdoors have worked for you. Please email us at with the BIOS ID number, whether or not the backdoor worked, and which backdoor worked. This information will help us assist others in the future. The AMI or Award BIOS ID appears at the bottom of the screen after power on.
    In BIOS’ with a release date of December 19, 1996 or later, Award required OEM customers to configure their own security default BIOS passwords using the Award MODBIN.EXE utility, version 4.50.60. If you are aware of any other backdoor BIOS passwords please let us know at [email protected].
    If you are unable to recover the password
    At boot-up note the BIOS provider (Award, AMI, Phoenix, IBM, etc.)

Hope this helps you!

This was previously posted or cut and pasted from JerryCTX website at http://pcinsecurity.com/

8. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Wow!! Cowboy622, good informative links!! ;)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice