1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bypassing the Windows login password?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SPL Tech, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SPL Tech

SPL Tech Thread Starter

How can someone bypass the login password if they forgot it? The system administrator account that you can access in safe mode has the same password so one cannot login to it.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

3. SPL Tech

SPL Tech Thread Starter

Works. Thank you. But now that I found out how easy it is to bypass that password I am worried. That’s a major security risk. So how can I prevent someone else from using a program such as this to access my computer without authorization?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about it.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Unfortunately there are quite a few ways to get around passwords with an NT based operating system. Been that way for years.

6. SPL Tech

SPL Tech Thread Starter

Well how else can I further restrict access to my computer? I am looking for serious high security options. I have all my important data encrypted and I have an administrative password along with the XP password but I would like more.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What are you trying to protect yourself from?

For example, the boot disk mentioned earlier would require a person to actually be at the computer to make that change. If that is an ongoing concern, put the computer behind a locked door.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    SecureDoc http://www.winmagic.com/ encrypts the entire hard drive. You have to enter the correct password before getting to Windows' login screen. If the disk is removed from the computer it is still encrypted. Supposedly there is no breaking it as long as a long and random password is used. The IRS is using it this year on all the laptops they loan to volunteer tax preparers.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If someone has physical access to the computer, there's little you can do. In high-security situations such as in NASA, physical access is restricted by background checks, ID badges, and penalties for violations. Unless you're in this sort of position, I think you're seriously overreacting.

Also, if you're using Windows XP encryption, you need to be backing up your EFS certificates since without them, you can never restore this data in the event you rebuild your system or forget your password. If you've encrypted data under the Administrator account and did not backup the EFS certificate and now used this utility to reset the password, your data is gone. If you then changed the password for another account from the Administrator account and didn't backup EFS certificates for that account, that data is also gone.

10. SPL Tech

SPL Tech Thread Starter

Bob Cerelli, I am trying to protect my computer from physical access. I am trying to stop someone who may have an extended period of time with my computer physically.\

I do not use the Windows Encryption for I cant because I dont have XP Pro. I use TrueCrypt.

TerryNet, does that program encrypt the primary hard drive (the one with Windows on it)? Because I use True Crypt and with that program if you try to encrypt the Windows files you wont be able to load Windows because you have to open the program up in Windows to enter the password to decrypt it.

I am not as much worried about someone accessing the actual "important" data that is encrypted. I am more worried about someone finding some of the less obvious traces of the files. Such as files that have been deleted but can still be restored because they have not been written over with new data yet. Or other things that I dont know about maybe such as some type of system log or something that could show specific files that have existed. Or maybe some type of Internet Explorer log that can show what sites I have been on (other then history, temp internet files, and cookies) and any passwords or logins I have may entered.

11. SPL Tech

SPL Tech Thread Starter

So your saying that even encrypted files with good passwords can be broken into? If so how do you prevent such. I have been taught that for every hacking action there is an security counteraction.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Then lock it in a room and don't allow them physical access.

It would certainly stop things you mentioned like "I am more worried about someone finding some of the less obvious traces of the files. Such as files that have been deleted but can still be restored because they have not been written over with new data yet" and "Internet Explorer log that can show what sites I have been on"

13. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Remove the floppy and cdrom drive so you can't boot from any removable media. Get a computer case you can put a lock on and put a password on the bios. There isn't much more you can do. When someone has physical access to your computer and they have the knowledge and know how, you are pretty much at their mercy.

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

And that's why if that is the main and overriding concern, it just has to be locked in a room where it can't be physically accessed.

Of course any network access is another issue.

15. SPL Tech

SPL Tech Thread Starter

Well I cant lock it up. I will have roommates and they will know its there anyway so locking it up is pointless. I use it every day so I am not going to drag it all over the house. Locking it up somewhere just wont work. From what I was told, encrypted data is virtually impossible to break if you use a good password. Is this not true?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/546914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice