1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bytes rec'd and bytes sent........

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by pooncat, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pooncat

pooncat Thread Starter

When I put my cursor on the lil computer in the lower right hand corner while connected it reads 1340049 bytes rec'd and 285581 bytes sent @24000 bps. I have a 56 K modem. Shouldn't it be doing a little better than it is?

2. monted

monted

Does it say the same or about the same speed all the time?
    If it does, it could be your ISP or the phone lines in your home and/or outside. If you know someone who lives close to you with the same ISP, ask them what their speed is.About all you're going to get from 56k is probably about 49-53kbs. That's a place to start,anyway.

Here's place to test:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/Bandwidth.asp

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Pooncat:

24,000 bps is a p-o-o-r speed for a 56K modem. 44,000 - 48,000 is more like what you should get.

Unless you have poor quality phone lines that will restrict your speed, no matter what you do, there are several tweaks that you can make to improve the speed. You might start out by reading here.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips:)

4. pooncat

pooncat Thread Starter

I have a Rockweell HCF 56K Data Fax PCI Modem....I think this is a different driver? It says generic though? Also the phone wire to the computer is split off from the back of the satellite dish. We have one line that is split 5 times...I guess that doesn't help???

5. monted

monted

i could see if there is an updated driver for you if i knew what OS you had, what kind of computer,and if it is an HP, did the OS come with the computer?

All those connections with your phone line won't help, but it affect it much more if the phone lines in your house are old,damaged,etc.

6. pooncat

pooncat Thread Starter

Windows 98 HP pavillion4450 6 GB hard drive 192 RAM Yes OS was already loaded... we wired the house for phones in '94 so they should be ok I guess. Everything else works ok but they dont count on speed like the phone or satellite dish....

7. monted

monted

8. pooncat

pooncat Thread Starter

Ok therein lies my problem..the last time I downloaded a zip file I had to have my computer worked on...it wiped out my modem and I couldnt find the zip file. I will download it if you can tell me how to find it and then only if you think it will help.

9. pooncat

pooncat Thread Starter

I also noticed when I went into control panel and clicked on modem it says this'''
    com1 no modem installed
    com2 Rockwell HCF 56K Speakerphone Modem
    com2 Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax PCI Modem....I assume since I have been surfing for 2 years now with this computer that that setting is ok.... on the General tab in control panel rockwell data fax modem is highlighted..when you go into Diagnostics com1 is highlighted which is no modem installed... still getting 24000 bps............

10. monted

monted

11. pooncat

pooncat Thread Starter

Ok I am VERY nervous I am downloading it now but it says Riptide Audio/Modem ComboCard Update Do I have that?

12. pooncat

pooncat Thread Starter

Well its all downloaded and sitting on my desktop..I just need to find the nerve now to unzip it and do the rest...I use this computer for my husband's business so if it goes down I will be in big trouble.....I just am sooooo afriad of zip files but the last time I downladed one I couldnt find it..at least I know where this one is ....wish me luck........and some nerve......

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice