1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

C++ Book Suggestions

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by Davidov541, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Davidov541

Davidov541 Thread Starter

Hey,

I am going to try to learn Visual C++ and hopefully .NET over this summer, and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on good books for learning Visual C++, especially .NET structure? Also, along with that, what sorts of things should I focus on in Visual C++? It seems like it has alot of parts to it and i'm just not sure where to start. Thanks!

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Nothing beats Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in C++" for understanding and using C++ - i.e. forget books specific to Visual C++ or .Net, and just download the free environments for them and start experimenting with them by writing and debugging small programs to learn how to program and use them.

-- Tom

3. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

I found C++ for Dummies and C++ from the beginning very useful in learning C++, but as lotuseclat said, once you've learnt the basics of C++, the best way to learn is to experiment. It may take a while, but trial and error helps you understand the language better.

4. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph

If you're looking for specifics on an enviroment (such as M$ Visual Editor) you can find alot of stuff on their website at MSDN or look at the MSDN library which usually comes with the installer.

One good book I liked for C++ was Dietel's C++ How to program. Note that this is _not_ their series on Visual Studio (although they aren't bad reads, you probably won't benefit much as said above)

5. Davidov541

Davidov541 Thread Starter

thank you for all of your suggestions, i think that will help me greatly this summer!

6. tomherry2

tomherry2

If you want to start to Basic. I think Balagurusamy is best for basic learning of C++;
    Pulication TATA Mc Graw Hill

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice