c.d. burner problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

steaks355

c.d. burner: crx140e/ch2
software: spressa ; version 1.7.1
my operating sysyem windows '98
memory: 256 meg
it seems that i am able to listen to music c.d.'s. the ones i have made and also the ones i have bought. my cd-rw discs however, will not open. the icons representing the files that i have stored will display on the screen, but when i try to open any given file, my system goes nuts, and locks up. is this driver? is this software? or could the disc itself be screwed up? which do i need to update? please help. thanks............steaks355

My burner started doing something similar to that before it took a crap.

If you used some kind of packet writing software to burn to the CDRW then that could be the problem. Plus packet writing software usually makes you format the cd first which sucks.

I myself just burn mulit-sessions when using a CDRW. That way, there is no problem with other computers that don't have some type of udf reader installed.

It could be your burning software or your burner is picky about the type of CDRW you are using.

Try a different brand. You could also enable/disable dma for your burner if something there is causing a problem.

You can also try downloading nero 5.5 demo to and burn to a cdrw and see what results you get.

Also have someone else burn a cdrw and then try it on your computer.

I thought Spressa was the name of the burner. If the software you are using is Sony CD Extreme, it needs updating. If your recording software is called Spressa check that it is up to date. Update your firmware as well. If you are using packet writing that will be a separate program that needs updating as well. No idea what Sony is bundling – maybe DirectCD or InCD.

It isn’t really worth troubleshooting before you get the software and firmware up to date. It fixes glitchy little problems. It doesn’t matter that it worked on your computer before. Just adding some software can cause conflicts that they have to correct with either firmware of software updates.

If that is Sony CD Extreme you are using, the updates will allow you to overburn.

Packet writing is fraught with dangers. Besides the possibility of overwriting something important, data loss is common due to improper closure. The table of contents (TOC) is in the RAM the entire time the CD is in the burner with the computer on. If you get a lockup, power loss or just force the disc to eject you will lose the TOC, which renders the disc unreadable.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online