Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

C disk full (Windows 10)

2K views 30 replies 5 participants last post by  Cookiegal 
G
#1 ·
Hello
my c drive is full and now my windows is really slow and when i even free a lot of space it just get full back in a little time
please help me clean my c BTW my c drive space is 43.9GB

#2 ·
It would help us to help you if we know more about your computer. Here is a link to the TSG System Info utility. You just download and run it. It does not need to be installed. Copy the results paste the output in a reply in this thread. This will tell us what version of Windows is running, as well as a few other software and hardware details.

https://static.techguy.org/download/tsginfo.exe

Also, please tell us how you are freeing up the space and if you know what is filling it again.

G
#3 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210115110758.000000+300
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 2, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 6 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
Hard Drives: C: 43 GB (11 GB Free); E: 4 GB (0 GB Free); F: 171 GB (21 GB Free); G: 77 GB (14 GB Free);
Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION VIOLET, ver 3.02, s/n 101578400000990
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver HPQOEM - 20090724, s/n 3CR93814DZ
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

#7 ·
According to your serial number, you have a HP Pavilion P6210F that was made in 2009.

It looks like you have partitioned the drive in the past when it had I assume Windows 7 and a 50GB space would be fine, but Windows 10 takes more space with the updates alone. Your C: Drive only has 11GBleft which can be filled by temporary files, updates with programs, etc. This computer had a 300GB drive in there so I am assuming that the drive was partitioned. You can confirm this by going to Disk Management and taking a screenshot of the information and paste it here.

If I am right, then the best solution is to back up your data, remove the partitions and then reinstall Windows 10. Or get a newer drive that would be a little more faster.

G
#8 ·
The folders you were emptying or deleting are dynamically created and maintained by Windows or a running application and are intended to speed up the operation of Windows or the application.

For example, a web browser cache will contain the web pages, including graphic elements, of a website you just visited. If you go back to the pages, the browser does not need to again download the page. The web browser may allow you to adjust the maximum amount of disk space used and whether it should be kept or cleared when closing the browser.

Are you emptying the Windows Recycle bin? When you delete a file, Windows tags the file's disk space as available for reuse but does delete the contents. After a long time, these available spaces get split up and scattered across the hard drive and can slow the operation of the computer. The instructions given by @lunarlander will reorganize the remaining files for faster access and for the faster saving of new files.

Do you physically have multiple hard drives or one about 300GB drive with multiple partitions?

There was no "z" in my question. I wanted to know what you meant by " i even free a lot of space " which you did explain. Thank you.

I will be moving this thread to our Windows 10 forum as this issue is more operating system related than hardware related.
I have 298GB HDD

#9 ·
As James had suggested, your best plan would be to back up all files you wish to keep on all the partitions (C, E, F, and G) to an external storage drive. You should note that any installed programs will need to be re-installed after re-installing Windows 10. Most, will not work if you back up their installed files from the Programs folders and then copy them back after re-installing Windows. Many programs depend on Windows registry settings and support files saved in the Windows system directories

Disconnect the external drive and do a clean re-install Windows from an installation disc or a bootable installation USB flash drive so that it first reformats the internal hard drive, removing all previous files on the drive.

If you do not wish to go through the above process, you could try moving any user-created and files and downloads from the C: partition to the F: partition and then run the disk cleanup suggested by lunarlander.

#12 ·
Virtual Memory uses your hard drive and software once your RAM is used up. This will make your computer slow if you don't have much space, or if the drive is old because you are trying to access the data from the hard drive as well as the RAM/System.

The SD card speed may not be sufficient, and usually not big enough. Typically people don't use SD cards for storage/OS on a desktop. Save yourself time and hassle and purchase a SSD drive, and memory if possible for the best optimal solution, otherwise my suggestion to redo the partitions still stand.

G
#13 ·
Virtual Memory uses your hard drive and software once your RAM is used up. This will make your computer slow if you don't have much space, or if the drive is old because you are trying to access the data from the hard drive as well as the RAM/System.

The SD card speed may not be sufficient, and usually not big enough. Typically people don't use SD cards for storage/OS on a desktop. Save yourself time and hassle and purchase a SSD drive, and memory if possible for the best optimal solution, otherwise my suggestion to redo the partitions still stand.
will SD be faster than HDD? for OS use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.