Solved C: Drive almost full, how do I extend it?!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SupernaturalCD

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 16291 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (4 GB Free); D: 912 GB (902 GB Free);
Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd., MS-1775
Antivirus: Norton Security, Enabled and Updated

My C: Drive is almost full, how do I extend the C: drive or utilize the D: drive? This is a very frustrating problem that I have no idea how to fix! All the youtube videos I've found are near useless.

Last edited:
You can't extend your C drive because there is no empty space to the right of it. Unless you remove that 900MB Recovery Partition. The Recovery Partition allows you to restore the PC to out-of-box state. If your PC came with Win 10, then you should keep it. If not, and you don't want to restore to Win 7 ( or whatever it was out of the box ), then you can delete it and expand drive C. But that gives you only 900 MB more space, which is not a lot.

You can start using drive D painlessly but moving your downloaded stuff to a Download folder you create there. And change your browser so that it saves new downloads to that folder in drive D.

If downloads aren't taking up much space, and it is programs on C drive that is taking up space, then you can create a folder in D to hold your programs. And re-install some of your programs, taking care to change the destination folder to the one you make in drive D, during the install. Almost all install programs allow you to change the destination folder.

Last edited:

crjdriver

I see one other issue here; not a big one however you should be made aware. Drive D is installed on the first sata port. Drive C is on the second sata port. When you do this, the first drive [in this case D and not the system drive] contains the boot files. This does not cause a problem unless you remove or replace the D drive. Windows will now not boot until you repair the system drive.
This is just one of the reasons why we recommend pulling the pw connectors from ALL drives except the one you want to install windows on during the install. Once the install is completed, you can shutdown and reconnect the drives. This prevents just the issue you now have on this system.

I agree with the above; just move your programs, document folder, etc to the D drive OR install a larger hd/ssd for the system drive.

You have the option of moving my documents to d drive. Depending on what you are saving, this could be a lot. Right click on folder and choose properties to see how much. If it is substantial, use instructions in link to change default save location to same folder name on D: Drive. Then move existing documents from C: to D:, and repeat for pictures, etc.
Good luck

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

SupernaturalCD

So basically, move what I want into the D drive except the windows folder or the recovery folder?
I've already set my downloads to go to the D drive and into a new folder.

Even adding the 900MB space to C drive won't help too much. Windows 10 OS files only does not take that much space. I guess you installed many software, applications or programs in C drive. Since the OS disk is with small capacity, my suggestion is replace it with a bigger one or reinstall some less important programs on D drive. Install OS programs alone and once it is corrupted, your other personal files won't be damaged.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online