1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

C: drive capacity 0, used space 0, empty space 0

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by member222, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. member222

member222 Thread Starter

Hello, I'm trying to help a friend whose notebook was infected with malware. She tried to clean it herself and the result is that Windows XP Pro sees the (C:) Drive as "Used space 0 bytes, empty space 0 bytes, capacity 0 bytes". Disk management sees Drive (C:) as "66.34 GB NTFS healthy system with 92% empty space" Disk management also sees "HP_Recovery (D:) 7.18 GB with 2% empty space" and "Unknown Partition 1.00 GB healthy with 14% empty space"

Because Windows XP thinks the disk has zero bytes of capacity and zero bytes of empty space, I am unable to download or install any diagnostic or anti malware utilities. I ran Avira Antivir Rescue System from the CD Drive and it found "TR/Drop.Agent.ahdz" Trojan in several files and it renamed the files. After the Antivir scan windows began to display the following message during startup "Windows is unable to open the following folder, folder: rncsys32.exe.XXX".

The PC boots and runs normal. The only problem is that the OS thinks the Hard Disk Drive is full.

Is there a way to make windows recognize that Drive (C:) does not have zero bytes of capacity and zero bytes of empty space? Also would deleting the Drive C: partition and restoring the system work in this case, or should I save some time and just install a new hard drive?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/930998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice