C: drive fills up quickly! Can't scan ...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

slg321

After almost daily cleaning, my computer's C: drive fills up with little or no use; is now at "0 available bytes", so I can't even scan w/ AVG. During last scan, the available memory went from 300 mb to 0 in about forty minutes, and the program couldn't complete the scan. Can I sart in safe mode and resolve this, or other options? Any help is appreciated!

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
How large is the c drive and how much room is open?
Open Windows Explorer and the Right click the C drive, then select "Properties" will give you the numbers I have asked for above.

slg321

C: is nominal 15 gb, actual 13.9 gb; free space now is 2.06 mb

bearone2

Banned
you'll get a message about defrag not working with less than 15% space available.

if you run that close to the max, you don't have much of the managed swap/paging file.

post #4 is probably right.

do you have onboard av protection?

slg321

Thanks, all ... I figure it's a virus, too, but unclear how to proceed w/out enough memory to run AV and/or download HJT to creat logs

what Operating system do you have, can you uninstall some programs, copy files to a backup drive? I would try to make space in Safemode, you can always re-install programs and copy back files.
Maybe then you can download HJT and run AVG

DoubleHelix

Banned
I wouldn't automatically assume the problem is a virus. It sounds like this has happened repeatedly. What did you delete to reclaim space? System Restore can use ~10% of a hard drive's space. In this case, that translates to 1.5GB.

slg321

XP, SP2 Yes, this has happened before, but got to the point where I cleared out enough - inlcuding all but the most recent restore point - to have 1.2 gb of free space. But with very little use it filled back to 200 mb free within 4 days. Over the prior couple of weeks I had already removed a number of programs and shifted user docs and tremporary internet files to D: drive, but each time C: has filled back up. Sounds like I should start with bp936 suggestion and make enough room to run HJT + AVG.
Thanks to all for responses and suggestions ...

C: is nominal 15 gb, actual 13.9 gb; free space now is 2.06 mb
15Gb >>>> is that the total capacity of your HDD ?
or 15Gb is your C: partition (Free Space of 2.06 mb) and you have xxGb of Unallocated Space left on the drive outside of that C: partition ?

slg321

15 gb is the C: partition; rest of hd is D: partition, total size 140 gb, w/ 36 gb free

i would assume then that C: is your "System Partition" of 15Gb and D: is where you have all your programs data files stored ? that's normal procedure.

i agree with bp936. IF you have any of your personal files or programs installed on C: get them outa there and wack them on D: Then you can start running your virus check programs HJT etc.

with 15Gb devoted to a Systems Partition C: >>>> that is sufficient to run an OS on with plenty of Free Space left (without having other programs on there).

gyrgrls

Banned
I wouldn't automatically assume the problem is a virus. It sounds like this has happened repeatedly. What did you delete to reclaim space? System Restore can use ~10% of a hard drive's space. In this case, that translates to 1.5GB.
Har, har...

You need Vista! It makes a "recovery" partition, and calls it "Backup".
Well, not always. But, at least, with most OEM installs.

Ah, the many flavors of Vista.

I am SO GLAD I use either Windows 2000 or Linux!

gyrgrls

Banned
you'll get a message about defrag not working with less than 15% space available.
Well, yes and no.

You WILL get an advisory, that for best results, you should
have at lease 15% free space to defrag. Horse feathers!
Of course, that's assuming that the LARGEST file on the partition
takes up less than 15% of the total space.

It's a Windows thing.
Get over it.

I have defragged partitions with less than 2% free space.
But it took awhile... and I had to make several passes.

Actually, you get better performance with 25% free space, on EVERY partition.
But don't tell anybody I told you that.

Furthermore,
If you have two physical hard drives, then put your swapfile (virtual memory)
on the drive other than where your system resides. This will increase
performance, however marginally or dramatically. But if it's a separate
partition, on one drive, then forget it. No benefit whatsoever.

I have six hard drives in my main workstation, and just past the ext3 [linux]
partiions, is a shared swapfile. Both Windows 2000 and Windows XP use the
same partition. It is 2 GB, and nothing gets to it, except virtual memory.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts