1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

c drive gone

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by melstene, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melstene

melstene Thread Starter

Hello and help if possible. My other computer seems to have had the c and d drives deleted. It started out with freezing up and having to restast computer, then I get a message that there is no fat/fat32 partition. Used my rescue disk to reboot ran virus scan found nothing. When I tried to reload missing program files computer locked up again. This time could not reboot with rescue disk or win98 boot disk, get message invalid partition table. Only thing in c/d drive is what boot disk loaded. Virus seems to be the problem but can not run any virus program in dos mode. Also can I recover data that has been deleted from hard drive? I hope I have been clear and some one can help.
    Thank you.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Hi melstene, welcome to TG.

A virus may well have been the cause, but when you get that message that there is no fat and no partition info, that's the kiss of death for anything on the drive as far as I know.

You will have to start from scratch by Fdisking, and Formatting the drive. If you need some tips there, try a post in the OS forum.

3. ramstein

ramstein

I'm talking blind. I don't know what the spec is or the version of BIOS you are using

Here's some simple steps for diagnosing nuisance Hard Drives

1. Go to BIOS, autodetect Hard Drive and make a note of the geometry of drive cyl, heads, sectors. Write it down and keep it somewhere

2. Assuming drive autodetects OK, check that the Large Drive or LBA option is enabled in Advanced settings

3. Ascertain the make of your drive and ask friend to downlaod manufacturers Disk Diagnostic Utility. I've got a set. Email me. Using DDU ascertains whether your drive has any physical or soft defects. MS software can't diagnose drives.

4. Use fdisk to wipe existing partition(s). Watch out here for slow partition verification and unusual drive noises while fdisk attempts to write new partition. If OK proceed to format drive and re-install windows

*****If you have a boot floppy, get it virus checked first*****

[email protected]

4. melstene

melstene Thread Starter

Well thanks for the info I didn't want to hear. I ran diagnostic on hard drive and found no problems. Started the fun of re-installing windows so far so good. Any ideas as to what virus I picked up that would delete hard drive? Any one no of a way to recover deleted material, I know the government has ways of finding info from formated drives.
    Thanks for the help.

5. holtzmjh

holtzmjh

I had that exact same problem. Thought I was screwed until I put in an old Mcafee emergency disk. Instantly it recognized my C drive and booted up fine. I ran virus scan but detected no viruses. Wonder what could have been the problem?? Anyone care to guess.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59425

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice