1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

c-drive letter missing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tjmoes, Mar 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tjmoes

tjmoes Thread Starter

i did a new install with xp on a 333mhz w/ maxtor 20g hd and c-drive letter is missing it show e drive as c-drive

2. Sponsor

3. norton850

norton850

XP can seem to do funny things with drive letters, but I'm not sure what you're saying. Is it that your hard drive with XP on it is now labeled as "E" ?

4. tjmoes

tjmoes Thread Starter

yes thats what i am saying never seen that b4

5. norton850

norton850

As long as all your drives are there and everything is working then nothing to worry about.

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

Did you have a ZIP or other removable drive attched during the installation? . . For some reason, if XP encounters a removable drive during installation, it will assign C: to that drive, and move down the line to the next available dirve letter for the drive with the operating system.

For the most part, it will work ok . . a few programs may throw up when you try to install them . . when it happened to me I got tired of it and reinstalled with the ZIP drive disconnected . .

wrs

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It does no harm having the system drive as E. While it is possible to change a system drive letter in win2k / xp, I do not recommend you do so. It is an involved process and any installed app will need to be reinstalled.

I would just live with it until the next install. At that time make sure you do not have any removable drive connected such as a digital camera, usb type drive, etc.

If you really want to change the drive letter, post back. I have instructions for changing a system drive letter.

8. norton850

norton850

Actually the first time I set the system in front of me up with a Zip drive, slave hard drive with an OS on it and new RAID XP boot drive, the boot/RAID drive was "F". No big surprise. When disaster struck a few weeks back and I reformatted and reinstalled WinXP on the RAID drive (no other changes to the system) it became the "C" drive with reassignment of drive letters to the other drives. That surprised me. :confused:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/342728