1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

C drive located inside folder INSIDE C drive - can't delete

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by bert1, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bert1

bert1 Thread Starter

very strange problem.

i have a folder on my desktop that used to be called "c++ programs" and has since been renamed to "goaway" (since it won't)

inside this folder which is located at C:\Users\bert\Desktop\goaway is a folder called C:

when i click it it brings me back to just C:\ - it acts like a shortcut - but it isn't! its my actual C drive. when i try to delete "goaway" it starts to send terabytes of data to my recycle bin. i CANNOT delete this folder! when i try, it will delete all that stuff and wipe most of the stuff from my C drive (which is.. uh.. important).

i went to cmd and cd'd to ~/goaway, and pressed Dir thinking its some sort of weird linking problem. heres a ss of the results:

http://i25.tinypic.com/2mcg1t1.jpg

(don't know why the image is all weird, thats just what tinypic did)

can anyone help me delete this forsaken folder? please help!

2. Fray

Fray

I assume you've already tried a chkdsk and renaming the C: folder?

3. bert1

bert1 Thread Starter

i cannot rename the folder. i change the name and as soon as i click elsewhere to activate the rename, it changes back to C:

chkdsk on default directory scrolls this error ad infinitum:

"An Index entry from index $0 of file 45604 is incorrect."
    its only at 53% complete right now

4. Fray

Fray

Sounds like chkdsk noticed the problem and is trying to correct it. Hopefully that will sort you out.

5. bert1

bert1 Thread Starter

thats the only error it came up with. unfortunately, i have no idea what to make of that and google is not coming to the rescue.

any ideas?

6. Fray

Fray

So chkdsk finished and the C: folder is still being weird?

7. bert1

bert1 Thread Starter

yeah, its still being weird.

it said there were errors found and it had to continue in read-only mode.

i ran chkdsk /f and it said the volume was being used, and asked if it wanted to do it on the next system reboot - i said yes and restarted... nothing has changed.

also, my computer has crashed sporadically since i got it with a BSOD with this error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and some more misc info.

i'm really at a loss as to what to do to solve either of these things. since trying to fix the c:\ thing, my computer has begun to run much slower. firefox takes ~20 seconds to start, and my internet connection is sketchy at best.

i installed ubuntu and it runs sooo fast and nice, destroys my vista experience, but my ~20 gigs of music are on my vista partition and transferring is a huge pain (especially since i only partitioned like 12 gigs for the ubuntu install)

chkdsk didn't fix the problem. i don't know what will. i'm desperate. i'll take any help.

8. Fray

Fray

IRQL stop errors can be caused by a number of things but most often by antisocial drivers or bad / poorly seated ram.

Have you tried deleting goaway from recovery console or a ntfs boot disk?

9. kenny111111

kenny111111

hello bert

have you tried renaming your C: in disc management?? it may work. then just change it back. (if it works)

start > right click on computer > manage > continue > disc management (left side) > right click on C: choose change drive letter and paths..

good luck

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/842917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice