1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

C:\ drive locked up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zemdarin, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zemdarin

zemdarin Thread Starter

After thinking my computer was running well I made a restore point to that effect, after defragging and using check disc. I continued using my computer and a couple of times rebooted without problems after installing windows updates. The next morning when booting up I was completely locked out at the welcome page, asking me to validate my copy of Windows. This I did over 4 years ago, and would have ticked the box to say yes, unfortunately the mouse locked.

I have put another copy of XP onto my D:\ drive to get here and write this, but with only 25 days for activation, which I do not want. Has anybody any idea please what has happened. I do have back-ups but they would only work if I reformatted my C:\ drive which is a lot of bother.

I have tried starting in safe mode, last good known configuration, but it always locks at the welcome screen.

2. Sponsor

3. Rockn

Rockn

Boot into Safe mode, reactivate and unistall the latest updates.

4. zemdarin

zemdarin Thread Starter

Hi Rockn. It won't boot to safe mode. I have tried that. I mentioned it in the post. I have tried every combination it gives me, but unfortunately it just locks my mouse when I have the chance to select Administrator or myself. I just have to reset each time. I have tried leaving it for half an hour or more just to see if anything might happen.

5. Stallcup

Stallcup

Try calling Microsoft and explain your predicament. I am sure they can provide you with authentication.

Toll free number: 888-571-2048
    Toll number: 716-871-2929

6. zemdarin

zemdarin Thread Starter

Hi Stallcup I have done that as well. because I can't get into my C:\ drive they couldn't help me either. I do not want to activate XP on my D:\ drive so I am reformatting my C:\ drive today with the help of the manufacturer Evesham Technology. I have back-ups on 3 discs so it should work out OK. I can't work out how a company has the right to download updates automatically as recommended to computers, then muck it up.

My computer was working perfectly up to the last downloads. I do run my own safety1st computing website, so I am not a complete novice, This has really stumped me though after days of looking for a solution.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/474779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice