1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

C drive maxed out after vista reload

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Big Al1, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Big Al1

Big Al1 Thread Starter

I recently had to reload vista the old os would no longer boot (malware?) After the reload everything looked good,fast again, until I started downloading stuff. A baloon opened and said I have low disk space. I opened c drive and it showed only the few things I had downloaded since reloading vista. How do I see what else is there (10 gb) and delete.
    I'm a newbe and pretty much computer illiterate please be gentile.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Do you remember formatting and partitioning to reload? As for seeing what else there is open "Computer" and run cursor across drive C and look down to the left and you will see size of drive and how much is free.

3. Big Al1

Big Al1 Thread Starter

I did click on a format button at reload. Now when I open C it only displays my new stuff which is only a few mb. The rest of the 10gb is not displayed. I assume it's my old vista OS and programs which I would delete

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Something is wrong here as Vista alone can be 18 gb. What size drive and what is showing "not used"

5. Big Al1

Big Al1 Thread Starter

I have a total of 120 gb. 60 gb open in D. C is full. I need to make room in C. What do I do? Should I try to load vista again and make sure I format before install.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Right click "Computer" choose "Manage", then "Disk Management". Right click D and choose "Expand Volume". The other choice would be to delete D, then expand C.
    I know that Disk management in Vista can do it, I just have never done it. If you had 3rd party software like Acronis Disk Director the approach would be much more straight forward.

7. Big Al1

Big Al1 Thread Starter

No luck, when that window opens EXTEND volume... is greyed out for both C and D drives.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

You have to delete the D partition for it to work. It can only work with unallocated space.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756091

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice