1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

C drive missing in BIOS set-up utility

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zubcan, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zubcan

zubcan Thread Starter

This happened suddenly. Whenever I boot / start my windows xp system I am getting the following message:
    “Reboot and select proper Boot device Or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key”
    The system does not recognize the existence of my c drive. When I press "Del" key on boot-up it bring the BIOS set-up Utility. Where Primary IDE Master : (Not detected)
    Type: Not installed
    Device: Not detected
    When I go to Boot up order: and change in this order, Harddrive, CD Rom and A Drive and then press F10 to save and exit.
    Even after that the BIOS - Main: Primary IDE Master is showing as not detected

When I insert the Start-up floppy disk, it brings up A:>
    but when I change C:\ - it does not go to c drive and shows as " invalid drive specification"
    System shows ONLY "A" drive.

Assuming that my SATA - ATA hard drive would have damaged, I replaced it with a new WD ATA drive.
    Even after replacing the new hard-drive, still I am getting the same error message, “Reboot and select proper Boot device Or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key”

Please let me know what I should do to bring back my C drive into BIOS set-up utility

Thanks

2. dai

dai

try setting sata to be seen as ide in the bios

3. zubcan

zubcan Thread Starter

I have only one hard drive ie WD ATA hard drive. Silicone Image Mode in BIOS shows the following :
    RAID mode previously set up
    Available to change: SATA 2 mode ( disabled)
    I changed RAID mode to SATA 2 mode. Nothing happened. Still I keep getting the same error message.

Any suggestions?

4. dai

dai

under the sata settings what do you see in the dropdown

the drive you are using is sata?

xp has no native support for sata,you can usually get around it by setting sata to be seen as ide,or you need to install sata driver through using F6

5. zubcan

zubcan Thread Starter

Hi Dai

Under BIOS set-up utility I don't know where I should go for SATA settings. What I did was under BIOS > ADVANCED > ON BOARD DEVISE CONFIGURATION > SILICON IMAGE MODE > under that I see the following options:
    1) RAID Mode 2) SATA2 Mode and 3) Disabled.
    I have already tried changing every option and the problem remains the same.
    I think I have not done SATA settings properly in BIOS as you were asking me to do. Please let me know the procedure.

Thanks

6. dai

dai

what make and model m/board do you have,i need to look at the manual

7. zubcan

zubcan Thread Starter

My motherboard is A8n32-SLI Deluxe - AMD 64 Athlon x 2 Chip
    WD -250Gb Harddrive

Thanks for your help

8. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    In some computers you can check in the bios under settings then configurations.you might see AHCI,SATA,ATA,IDE, compatability or legacy.see if you can change it to IDE or compatability since you are using xp and then see if the drive shows.AHCI in most but not all computers is to be used for vista and windows 7.

9. dai

dai

10. zubcan

zubcan Thread Starter

Thanks for your trouble.

I have already given my computer for repair to a computer technician. However, I asked him to check the SATA setting as shown in the manual section 4.3.6.

He says he has already checked the settings, which is already enabled and the problem remains the same. He is planning to replace the motherboard.

Thanks for your help.

11. dai

dai

ok let us know how you go with it

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice