1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

C drive partition fills up too fast

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by at_random, Dec 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. at_random

at_random Thread Starter

My hard disk is partitioned, with my system/OS files on my C drive (only about 2 gig) and my D drive has everything else (about 25 gig). Problem is, temp files, cookies, and a lot of other things are automatically saved to my temp, cookie, etc. folders on my C drive, not my D drive. So my C drive fills up constantly, and sometimes I can't even find the files that have been filling it up (ie not all of them are cookies and temp stuff). So, is there a way to permanently send everything to folders on my D partition? (ps--I'm NOT removing the partition for a long time... it's there for a reason that would take forever to explain)

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are using IE go to Tools > Internet options > General there you will see settings for temp internet files. You can change the folder from there.
    Are you using ME by chance? If you are then the system restore function is using up space on your hd. You can change the amount of space system restore uses. I do not use ME so I am not sure of how you go about changing the settings [if you are even using ME]
    Another option is to use partition magic to resize your c: partition and make it a little larger. I like to use 4 gig for operating system. You can even make a third partition and use that for back-up. PM will do this without destroying data that is already there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!