c:drive problems windows 98se

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alan w

hi guys i am new to this forum and need help badly:rolleyes: here is my problem....

i am using windows 98se it has only minimal ram 64mb my resources are running at 75%free my local disk(c) was only minamal having original 2.93gb capacity it has recently gave me error messages stating that the drive was full,the amount i had used was 2.75gb leaving me only 186 mb free,so as reccomended i deleted everything possible to gain space back including all my best programs and left only musicmatch and anti virus i have used cc cleaner regularly and used the disk clean up facility in windows to claim space back but to no avail it is still showing drive full................any ideas guys as to why i cant get space back,i also deleted all music files ,photos etc etc

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Right-click the Recycle Bin icon, click Properties, move the slider from its default value of 10% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click Start - Find - Files And Folders, select the hard drive ( C: ) to look in, then delete everything that appears when you type in

C:\TEMP\*.*

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*

*.OLD

*.BAK

MSCREATE.DIR

~*.*

_*.*

After you've done this, make sure to empty the Recycle Bin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reboot afterwards, then click the amount of hard drive free space and let me know what it is.

With a hard drive that small, you're doing to need to do a good job of "housecleaning".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Run scan disk because it often finds an error that the amount of free space is being reported incorectly

alan w

many many thanks i completed a scandisk as advised and now have 1.65gb back

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You still should do what I suggested earlier. You don't exactly have a lot of hard drive space to play with.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online