1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

C drive space used up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by oceans49, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oceans49

oceans49 Thread Starter

How can i transfer a folder with 4GB from my c drive to my d drive which has plenty of room. Appreciate any suggestions.

2. Duckman69

Duckman69

well just open 2 windows with my computer open c drive & goto the folder you want to transfer... then open d drive & place you want the folder to goto ... then click the folder & dra to the d drive it will create a copy there for you, then just delete the folder of c drive if you want... i would suggest using a tool like http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/download.php completly erases stuff for you not leaving as much clusters as just suing reclyin bin would... also you can right click reclyin bin & use erase now after you install it.. hope this helped... if not let me know...

3. Duckman69

Duckman69

i see your still viewing the forum, did that help any? or is there something more to this issue? security, access denied, etc.

4. oceans49

oceans49 Thread Starter

Hey Duckman69 thanks for your reply, but I'm not too savy on this stuff, so I'm still
    not sure how this works. I can open the c drive and goto the folder i want to move, but how can i drag it to the d drive since the window i'm in doesn't show the d drive. Is there a place where all the drives and folders are listed and allows dragging one folder into another/ I'm just kinda lost here.. Thanks if you can help.Oceans 49 (PJ)

5. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

You just do "Cut" and then "Paste" it into the D Drive

6. Duckman69

Duckman69

yea you could right click the folder & click copy or cut then open the d drive & right click then paste... or what i said earlier open 2 windows of my computer 1 with c drive open & 1 with d drive open then click hold & drag to d drive, hope this helped you

7. oceans49

oceans49 Thread Starter

Thanks, but that doesn't work.. the folder I'm trying to move is Documents and Settings is a WindowSystem folder & is required for Wind. to run properly. I cannot be removed or renamed.

8. The Hound

The Hound

>>Edit: D'oh--- DoubleHelix is dead right--I'm falling asleep...time to call it a night. Do not even try what I suggested--not with the Documents and Settings folders...

Thanks, DH...

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You do not want to move those folders like that. Your system will get so screwed up. Use Windows XP PowerToy to move profile folders. Even then, there's a risk of data loss and corruption.

10. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

You can move the My Documents folder along with it's sub folders and their respective contents quite easily. Here's how

On your Desktop or from the Start Menu
    Right click on the My Documents icon
    Select Properties
    Click on the Move button
    on the Select a Destination window, click on the + next to My Computer to expand the tree.
    click on the D drive
    Click OK

11. Duckman69

Duckman69

why not copy what you need from inside the folder then paste it into a new folder and leave teh my documents where they are... spare your self the agony there

12. Goku

Goku

Well,DoubleHelix is right.You can never move the Documents and Settings folder and even if you can,it will be sheer stupidity to do so.Don't try to do this as if you do,you will end up with a dead PC with no option other than to start from a scratch.Also,if you wanted the Documents and Settings folder on your D:/,then you should have installed Windows on D:/.Now,you have no option but to keep it until you wish to start from a scratch.Also,don't try Duckman69's solution because,you want to reduce space usage on C:/.Copying the data on D:/ will increase it's usage but will not reduce C:/'s usage.So,use it only if you want to make a backup of the folder.

So,the verdict is:

Don't try it.:)

13. Duckman69

Duckman69

whoops i misread prior post and got confused yea sorry dont try that i said my documents above and was confused as to why you had trouble moving it ... why not copy other files to that drive like your games or big folders from program files or something ... you migh have to uninstall those programs & reinstall them to that drive so there recognized as being there on start up & in the registry, you could also try backing up what you really need & formatting then copy those files back... or find some utilities for cleaning the space on your hard drive (im sure they wont do 4gb of cleaning for you if thats what you wanted, but should help) sorry about my misleading post :/
    ~later

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

Of course you can move the My Documents folder....but do not try "cut and paste" or you could lose everything.

15. BobJam

BobJam

Hey oceans49,

Do yourself a favor: In the future, to avoid having this problem again, save your data to "data specific" folders, NOT the My Documents folder, which is the stupid default that M$ put in the OS's.

For example, make a folder titled: Excel, and save all your spreadsheets there. Make a folder titled: MSWord, and save all your documents there. Etc.

That way, when it comes time that you want to move a folder you can do it easily and without all the headaches associated with moving the My Documents folder.

Also, you can selectively back up data by just backing up the folders.

Most programs have a "Preferences" or "Options" setting where you can designate the specific storage folder, instead of using that silly default, My Documents.

Also, that My Pictures, and My Music, and My <anything> folders are pretty much the same as My Documents - they are the defaults, and NOT what you want to use to store stuff.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice