1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

C drive space?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by philherb, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. philherb

philherb Thread Starter

Is there some secret or easy way to get back alot of needed space on my c drive? I went in and deleted programs I don't use deleted tons of files saved and still only can get 8% space left? Do I have to by a new card to insert or something, this is a 5 yr old sony viao, also disk defragmenter says cannot do its job with only 8 % remaining space. I'd appreciate any replies to this dilema.

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I'd say get a second drive and move files to it.

A 5 year old system can't have enough space to be enough for most modern users.

You can use a disk sweeper, but those clean out files you can empty yourself. Temp files, cookies, Cache etc..

Pictures, music and things of that nature are likely taking most of your space. With a second drive you can put all your old files and most of your programs on the new disk.

Then you can defrag, and have room to grow.

You can get a 200GB drive for just above $100 now. My last word of advice stay away from Maxtor if you do go this route.
    Seagate, then Western Digital, Then Samsung and Hitachi are in my experience the best drives and in that order.

3. Whiteym

Whiteym

you can try disc cleanup to kill some space. also look at downloading a prog called windirstat. it scans your drive and creates a directory tree of your drive placing the folders using the most space at the top and working down. also spits out a diagram showing the relative size of files and folders. is handy for finding files that u lost or forgot about, which accumulate over time

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

How big is the drive? IE 8% of what?

And, even though Defrag "complains", select OK and let it go. It will defrag properly.

Find your Recycle Bin, right mouse, properties and move the slider down to 1%.

From IE, tools, internet options, temporary files, settings and change the size to 15MBs.

5. ferrija1

ferrija1

"A simple program that removes unused and temporary files from Windows machines."
    www.ccleaner.com/

By the way, defragmenting your hard drive doesn't do much.

6. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Not from a making more space point of view, but on a 5 year old laptop drive you would most likely see some improvement.

7. ferrija1

ferrija1

It'll do a little but I don't think it would be that big.

8. gophersnake

gophersnake

... deleted tons of files saved and still only can get 8% space left?

Something sounds fishy here. Did those "tons of files" really all fit in less than 8% of the drive? You "deleted" them how? They couldn't, for instance, all be sitting in the Windows "Recycle Bin" taking up just as much disk space as they did before?

9. prettyolder

prettyolder

I recently cleared out my computer ,and gobs of space is taken by favorites or bookmarks . clear it out. Then ,when I defragmented I was showing nearly 5 GB of Outlook Express. So check out you OE database. I had a lot of duplicate picture files and music files. I think some of this happened when I installed XP over ME. I deleted a bunch of those install do-hickies. I went from 10% empty HD to 40%

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542141

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice