1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

C drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kgsankeny, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kgsankeny

kgsankeny Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a Windows Xp system (HP). It is approximately 5 years old.

I am not able to defragment. When I attempt to do so (C drive), it just says that I need at least 15% space. I have approximately 226 MB space. When I attempt to do a defrag anyway, the colored space bar showing how much space I have is very red (Corrupted files?)

I have also checked on websites for PC scans which of course, show that I have a lot of items that need to be repaired. Do I need to "puchase" these items or is there a place that I can get this done without a charge And...Do they actually work?...

I am not real compuer savvy so, any help would be appreciated!

Kevin:eek:

2. bbearren

bbearren

Visit my website and click on Disk Cleanup. It uses Windows components and is free.

As for defrag, after you run Disk Cleanup, try MyDefrag. It is also free, and will work with less than 15% free space.

3. PedroHin

PedroHin

I would be cautious of any software which promises to repair a multitude of problems.

Only 226MB free space is certainly going to cause performance problems. Since you have had the PC for a while, what type of data have you mainly created/accumulated? -- Pictures, Music, Videos, Books, Documents?

I would start by getting an application which does a fairly good job of automatically cleaning out temporary file areas. CCleaner seems to be the most user-friendly of the bunch. The standard version is free for home use.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/

EDIT: hey bbearren, I didn't see your post there. I take a while to edit :)

4. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Run Disk Cleanup then try Defragging

5. bbearren

bbearren

I recommended using what's already there, rather than installing another app when there's only 226 MB of free space showing. I've found Disk Cleanup (as shown on my website) can only be beaten by CCleaner if I allow CCleaner to delete files that I actually want to keep. Needless to say, I don't use CCleaner; I keep it installed and up to date and run an occaissional comparison to Disk Cleanup. So far, I've found no need to actually use CCleaner.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Kevin:

What's the capacity of that hard drive?

Do the following to reclaim some hard drive space:

1. Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties - System Restore, then set the slider to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

2. Right-click RECYCLE BIN, then click Properties, then set the slider to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

3. Delete everything from inside these 2 temp folders:

C:\WINDOWS\Temp

C:\Documents And Settings\(Username)\Local Settings\Temp

4. Empty the Recycle Bin, then restart the computer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice