1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

C Hard Drive suddenly full??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by berndawg84, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. berndawg84

berndawg84 Thread Starter

I've had this problem many times before...as of yesterday or so, I had over a gig free on my C drive, and just now I got a low disk space warning, with only 170 mb left. How is this possible? I did just upgrade to Service Pack 2, but I don't think that's it, cuz this has happened before. It's as if almost a gig of stuff was dumped on my drive. Are there any folders I can go through to search for temp files that may have been just added. And I just did a spyware check, there was only a couple to delete, so I don't think it's that either.

2. rude

rude

Could be that the sp2=266mb + backup file for sp2=266mb + restore point created when you installed sp2 equals the missing space.

Try deleting all but the last restore point,and while you are there change the amount of space reserved for restore points to 3%.By default xp reserves 12% of your hard drive for restore points which is waaay more than you need.3% is more than enough for 2 or 3 restore points and you might be able to regain some of your hard drive space.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Depending on the size of your hd, 1 gig free is not much for running xp. Once a hd gets more than 75% full, it starts to slow down. I would do a complete disk clean up and consider installing another hd or installing a larger one.

4. win98se

win98se

5. berndawg84

thanks for the tip...I think XP regularly makes its own restore points periodically right? I took it down to 3% now, seems back to normal

6. ReidCorbett

ReidCorbett

Sadly enough its actually 50% :-/

7. berndawg84

hmm, it's happened again, went from 1.7 gigs free to 500 MB free again.

I've done a full virus scan, spyware scan, taken down the restore point usage % to 3%, yet still getting it

Any other ideas?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice