1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

C:/ is only small percetange (5GB) of HDD capacity

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keltix, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. keltix

keltix Thread Starter

I installed Win 98 SE for what I thought was temporary period of time. I finished installing it on the 120GB HDD only to find out that the C: drive is only 5GB.

Whats the problem?

I admit I wasnt sure what I was doing during the installation, so if I missed something like Partitioning and all that NTFS FAT32 stuff maybe thats it. How can I reinstall WIN and get the full capacity?

2. bigbear

bigbear

It might be time to upgrade to XP,
    I suspect this is a service pack problem where 98 cant see large drives without the SP installed.
    Also with the anouncement this week that MS is longer supporting 98 and ME, downloading the service packs could be a problem

3. keltix

keltix Thread Starter

Hmm...ok then.

Would it be smart to wait a while to buy WinXP,
    I mean would the prices go down a bit after Windows Vista comes out?

Where would be a good online site (cheap and trustworthy) to buy WinXP Pro Retail?

I've tried newegg but its kind of expensive there? any suggestions?

4. bigbear

bigbear

If you have 98se up and working see if you can download the updates, I dont think they have switched them of just yet.
    You could also see if you can pick up windows 2000 disc as this still has support
    I am in the UK so cant really comment on US sites

5. keltix

keltix Thread Starter

You dont think I could need a BIOS update because maybe this mobo doesnt support a large HDD. But if that were true would it reject the HDD entirely or size it down??

FYI: the BIOS is as up-to-date as can be...

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  7. keltix

keltix Thread Starter

the BIOS reports...

Maxtor 6Y120L0
    Capacity 122 GB

I am sure my computer can support WXP as it was previosuly Windows XP Home (I had to change things like MOBO, PSU, and such to fix a few problems) but had to get rid of the OS because i changed too many parts so the OS OEM would not let me initiate and thats how I got stuck with 98.

any suggestion where to buy WinXP Pro Retail?

any other than newegg, tigerdirect, zipzoomfly?

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    WAlmart sells it as does Staples and and any of the Office Stores such as Office Depot or Office Max. If you have a Fry's in your area they have good deals on operating systems. Just do not buy and OEM Version. Sure you save money but it can legally only ever be installed on one computer system, legally speaking if you upgrade your Motherboard you woul dneed to buy the OS all over again. If you purchase a retail version you are only limited to it being installed o one system at a time. So if you did upgrade and deleted Windows XP Pro from the old system you can legally install it on the new system. As I said so long as it is installed on 1 system at a time.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Was this originally a brand name system or did you build it yourself?

10. keltix

keltix Thread Starter

it was an HP that i bought at OfficeDepot..so it had XP Home OEM and so after replacing many parts it did not recognize the system and would not start (atleast that was the explanation i was given that made most sense

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Well that would explain why the OEM OS wouldnt work. you would be able to use a PCI Controller card in that providing you have a free pci slot and the physical room in the case to put the added drives.

12. Consistent

Consistent

Windows 98 won't detect 150Gb hard drives.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482678

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice