C vs JAVA (Specific Comparison)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

abudahim

As we know, C allows using arithmetic expressions in control statement whereas in Java only Boolean expressions are allowed.

which do you think is better in this specific aspect ?

abudahim said:
As we know, C allows using arithmetic expressions in control statement whereas in Java only Boolean expressions are allowed.

which do you think is better in this specific aspect ?
Hi abudahim,

Yes, C allows to write so intricate expressions that the coding may be unreadable at a first glance. With Java, you may also find some statements that can take more than the width of your development editor as Java provides a lot of classes, methods and properties known for their verbosity.
The company for which I work has its policy about the readability of sources. Therefore, when I write some pieces of code, I am cautious about its readability as some programs sources can be upgraded by other programmers than me in the future. And when I must modify a program developped by someone else, I'm also expecting that its sources are easily readable and upgradable.
It already happened I had to waste a lot of time just to add a small modification because the program was spaghetti like written.

abudahim

hi Chicon
so you think it is a matter of readability ?
java in this aspect is more readable than C ?
but is this make C more flexible ?
thanks

abudahim said:
hi Chicon
so you think it is a matter of readability ?
java in this aspect is more readable than C ?
thanks
I do not see the advantages to have intricate statements in a program whatever the used language. You may also have excellent performances with simple statements if they are well managed.
Java is theorically more readable than C but you may also find very nasty codings in Java that make the programs use all the memory and processor resources because its developpers don't master Java and its numerous possibilities.
When you develop a program, you must not think only about the reaching of its objectives but also about its performances, its readability in order to easily bring future modifications, its reusability in order to avoid rewriting many times the same piece of coding, its eventual usage by non programmers, and so on.

abudahim

Chicon said:
I do not see the advantages to have intricate statements in a program whatever the used language. You may also have excellent performances with simple statements if they are well managed.
Java is theorically more readable than C but you may also find very nasty codings in Java that make the programs use all the memory and processor resources because its developpers don't master Java and its numerous possibilities.
When you develop a program, you must not think only about the reaching of its objectives but also about its performances, its readability in order to easily bring future modifications, its reusability in order to avoid rewriting many times the same piece of coding, its eventual usage by non programmers, and so on.
absolutely (y)

Usually, readability is not the most important aspect of programming, unless you are working in a large development team (even then, this is not always the case).

Personally, I try to stay away from Java because for all the strong points about it, it has some glaring weaknesses, and is still property of Sun, which owns the sole VM and development tools.

blaqDeaph said:
Usually, readability is not the most important aspect of programming, unless you are working in a large development team (even then, this is not always the case).

Personally, I try to stay away from Java because for all the strong points about it, it has some glaring weaknesses, and is still property of Sun, which owns the sole VM and development tools.
Hi All,

Two points:
1) You can program spaghetti code in any computer language - i.e. making it understandable is largely a maintenance issue, even for yourself if you wrote the program months ago and did not generate any documentation for it.

2) While Java may not be in the hands of a Standards body, Sun development tools like JDK, etc. are free to download and use, and they have a very good Tutorial as well. As for making commercial products, I am not sure about the license, and would have to look at it to be sure.

-- Tom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online