1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

c:\ windows missing in Recovery Console

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by drewber, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drewber

drewber Thread Starter

Dell Precision 390 computer. XP Pro

daughter turned off comp w/o shutting down. Next day get hal.dll missing error.

Comp was installed with 2 partitions, a system restore partition (D and windows (c.
    Per advice from other forums, I went into XP Recovery Console (R) and started to go through the process. However, I only had 1 choice of installation to select: C:/Minint. C:\windows was not an option. Since I was not really sure what Minint was and because I could not see any of my Windows folders, I decided not to do anything in Recovery Console.

I loaded UCBD and i was able to see 2 partitions on my 80GB drive a 3.9GB partition NTSF and 74.1GB unallocated partition (which used to be my windows folders).

Now I've been messing around with a bunch of different programs on UCBD and Hiren's Boot Disk, but I'm not able to see any of my Windows folders.

At this point I've gone from a Repair mindset to a Recover Data mindset. I just want to get c:\windows back and get my data.

on top of that, hal.dll error is gone but replaced with NTLDR missing error. I've not been able to fix that either.

Thoughts? HELP?

2. DariusSupport

DariusSupport

go back to your recovery console and one at a time type:

fixmbr
    fixboot

hopefully that will let you back into your computer with a normal restart

3. drewber

drewber Thread Starter

I should do this even if c:\wiindows is not an option? Won't i be fixing the MBR on an install I don't want (c:\minint)?

4. DariusSupport

DariusSupport

type cd windows and let me know if it shows up

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/994787