1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

c:\WINDOWS\System\vmm32.vxd :missing/unable to load

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by samustdie, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. samustdie

samustdie Thread Starter

i installed win98 i got this message can't start OS

C:Windows\System\VMM32.vxd

is there a possible way to rid this error

2. sammysosa

sammysosa

That is a special file, created during Windows installation. Every computer uses a different VMM32.VXD file, so you can't simply copy one from another system and expect it to work.

If you can't find that file by searching the system in DOS, you could wipe the drive and reinstall Windows again, or do a repair install, installing Windows on top of itself. That should force the creation of a new VMM32.VXD file, and that problem should be history.

If you DO find the file somewhere on the HDD through a DOS search, copy it into the Windows\System folder, then reboot the system.

Good luck; keep us posted.

3. dr20

dr20

That is a special file, created during Windows installation.

Did you get the error immediately after installing Windows 98? Sometimes third party software can be responsible.

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Is this happening during one of the reboots after the install?

If so, take the CD out of the drive.

5. samustdie

samustdie Thread Starter

sori late reply!!! yes i got this error message after i installed win98 and reboot, even with or without the cd on the cd-drive. but the OS is working it just so irratating when i start the pc i always see the error.

i think the only problem is i dont have the vmm32.vxd, is it possible i download it and copy it where it should be place?

and one more thing! where can i get that for free.

6. samustdie

samustdie Thread Starter

sori late reply!!! yes i got this error message after i installed win98 and reboot, even with or without the cd on the cd-drive. but the OS is working it just so irratating when i start the pc i always see the error.

i think the only problem is i dont have the vmm32.vxd, is it possible i download it and copy it where it should be place?

and one more thing! where can i get that for free?:confused:

coz im pretty broke:(

thank you guy for the help

7. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

"but the OS is working "

Can you explain what you mean by that??

VMM32 is a critical system file and Windows should not be "working" if it is missing

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice