1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

c///;\windows\system32\config\sys is corrupt

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wes101, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wes101

wes101 Thread Starter

when I boot laptop I get this message. I'm running win media 2005, when I try to use my disk windows wants to do a clean install ,when i try to use the recovery console to copy the sys32 file it's unable to copy the file, i tried to use a linux live cd to access the harddrive (koppex, moppex)no luck. need help

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. wes101

wes101 Thread Starter

The exact message is(windows could not start because one of the files is missing or corrupt.
    c:\windows\system32\config\system

4. Claymore

Claymore

Elvandil is right. You have a corrupted registry and the link he gave is the solution. I suppose if you are a wiz at Linux you could do it from there, presuming you have a version that can write to NTFS if that's how your Windows partition is formatted. But the real and safe way to go is with Elvandil's link.

Luck!

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes. That is not a missing file but a missing or corrupt system hive of the registry.

6. HumboldtGuy

HumboldtGuy

Evandil or Claymore, i'm having the same problem with a corrupted registry file but after doing step 1 of microsoft's directions and restarting in safe mode my keyboard and mouse don't work.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

You may have to use PS/2 mice and kb's if you have USB and they don't work for some problems.

8. Claymore

Claymore

Hello,

When you restarted in Safe Mode did you not need the keyboard and/or mouse to log in?
    Have you tried restarting again?
    And, did you install a new keyboard and mouse after your initial installation?
    And, what kind of keyboard and mouse are you using?

9. HumboldtGuy

HumboldtGuy

the keyboard and mouse are the orginal ones from dell, they're both USB. they work while I select safe mode but once the windows screen comes up where i need to click Administrator the mouse and keyboard don't work. I've tried restarting multiple times.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Wait a few minutes at the logon screen to see if they start working.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646090

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice