C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nimo12

Hi all, i wish you could help here
all my folders on my desktop are gone i searched them and i found 'em in the the folder systemprofile and copied them in my desktop but the issue is there're not working (Word,PDF, Music also )
it gave me this message : refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network. Check to to make sure the disk is properly inserted.

thanks in advance ;)

plodr

Liz
Did you right click the empty desktop, select View and make sure that show desktop icons and show desktop gadgets were both checked/ticked?
Perhpas everything was hidden and had not really disappeared.

If that doesn't bring them back, the next thing to do would be to restore the computer to a time before this event happened.
To use System Restore
Open System Restore by clicking the Start button . In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore. Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point and restore your computer.

nimo12

I've tried the restore option and it's not working , the actual problem is that when i open the files in the USER folder it works but in the desktop nothing

nimo12

When i open te file in the desktop i get this message : the file is unavailable .. Thank u

plodr

Liz
How to restore: right click My Computer, select Properties.
In the left pane, select System protection. In the box that pops up, the System protection tab should be open. Click on the System Restore button.
How many restore dates are showing?

plodr

Liz
So your choice it to restore to a date one month ago and see if your desktop icons are where they should be.

If they work, then do the windows updates for February.
If they don't work, go through the restore again and revert back to today's date.

plodr

Liz
Then the next option is to do a non-destructive reinstall of Windows 7, if you have a Windows 7 DVD.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online