1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

C0000218 registry failure

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ds666, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ds666

ds666 Thread Starter

ok - i have the above failure from tinkering around where i shouldnt be.
    Ive managed to get hold of a xp pro disk - (i have xp home on my compuiter) - Will this work?
    Also i cant get it to read the disk when i boot up. Ive changed the boot up order in bios settings and still it does not read the cd it just takes me back to the same blue screen where it dumps the physical memory then starts over and over again.
    Do i need to delete the existing xp first?
    Can anyone help please.
    Please note i am not really computer litterate, but could follow a step by step guide if anyone would be so kind as to take the time out to help me.
    Thanks in advance!!

is there no way of deleting the home edition xp then installing the pro from the disk?

from the previous post C0000218 registry failure - is there any way i can get xp pro (which i have on disk) to take over xp home (which i dont have on disk).
    I dont care about the files on my computer or anything, i just need the think to work again.
    Can i not just delete xp home and install the xp pro?

2. bobthedog27

bobthedog27

Well the problem is that xp has service pack 1 sp 2 and xp pro depending on how big the hard drive is can partition it ie xp dodgy copy xp pro on same drive but if can delete this xp be sure everything got off it then go for an clean install am not an expert but just remember that when that happened had to do an system recovery all programs> system recovery pc angel might fix it there are diagnostic cards can get an other bits but when doing an clean install make sure that the drive has enough memory and that all the files :rolleyes:

3. bobthedog27

bobthedog27

are installed

4. bobthedog27

bobthedog27

xp pro might use more resources and memory

5. ds666

ds666 Thread Starter

i want to do a complete re-install but i dont know how

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice