1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

C2D E6700 hot? 3 diff temps from all apps?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulb100, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

I have just acquired a Core2Duo E6700 2.66Ghz from eBay, Iam using it in a Foxconn 45GM motherboard, Iam using an Arctic Freezer Pro cooler which has been great previously getting my 90nm Pentium 4 3Ghz down to 30-35'c idle

when I got it running with the E6700 (idle at 1.6Ghz and idle at 2.6Ghz) it seemed that the following temperatures are given...

1.6Ghz - 2.6Ghz

RealTemp = 49'c - 57'c
    Core Temp = 43'c - 52'c
    Speedfan = 39'c - 48'c

I have re-sit the CPU and cooler again and got same results...

which one do I trust?

is it possible the E6700 has been damaged from Overclocking?

EDIT: right now Iam using SpeedFa in tray and its reporting 42'c idle - when i leave in BIOS its 39'c-40'c flipping between the two, the fan is up from 1300 to 1500 as it kicks in at 35'c... seems speedfan is about right... the fan isnt speeding up so cant be 50'c - still, 42'c is a little high for my liking...

thanks

2. ajkane

ajkane

I have always trusted core temp, and a lot of other applications use it for reference. That's still weird that all the programs have different temps normally you only see that problem with amd. As for the high temps, you are fine, that cpu can handle 85C!

3. ajkane

ajkane

Wait, also what does core temp say the tjmaxx is?

4. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

I will check later - turns out I recently installed a GPU that has passive cooling and gets red hot- last night while idling at 42'c I boot into BIOS after an hour and reports:

CPU - 39'c
    System - 36'c

so think the GPU is heating up the case.. I also used cheapo paste..have ordered some MX4

gunna mess about with case fans today and see if it helps

ive been told the C2D's are dodgy at giving low temp readings? is that right? SPeedfan and CoreTemp are about the same..but RealTemp is just way too high and is defo incorrect.

5. ajkane

ajkane

They all detect the TjMaxx and do this Reported Temp - TxMaxx = Real Temp. Most of the time they don't detect the TjMaxx right and you have to manual set it with offsets. You can look up your TjMaxx at http://ark.intel.com/

6. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

7. ajkane

ajkane

The TjMax of your cpu is 90C what does core temp say?

8. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

CoreTemp says the TjMax is 85'c

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What bios are you running on that board? When I check the cpu support, it shows the 6700 supported only by the latest bios [P27]

10. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

hi crjdriver :)

where do you get that info from?

I got the CPU as it was in the 'supported' list - there was nothing to indicate that it was only supported in latest firmware?

It's not the latest version...I think its the first one? I will check

anyway it seems to be working great - in BIOS temps are 28'c and in windows SpeedFan says 31'c - so i reckon SpeedFan is probably the closest - I have installed a small fan next to the Passive Cooled GPU which pulls the heat out the back and ive got good temps with it. (35'c when Im browsing)

I was gunna install latest BIOS but worried it would go wrong.

BIOS is P15

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

12. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

I googled 'foxconn 45GM processor' and first link on page gave me the support list.. I seen E6700 was supported so we got one...works brilliant - massive improvement from a Pentium 4 lol...

13. ajkane

ajkane

you just need to set an offset of +5C in core temp and your temps will be correct in core temp

14. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

I have too ADD 5'c too CoreTemp..? this will bring it in-line with real-temp... both i believe are incorrect

idle temps

realtemp - 40'c
    coretemp - 35'c
    speedfan - 30'c
    BIOS - 28'c

either way I will have my MX4 paste soon, i will re-sit and remove the GPU and use onboard too see what temps are like, then again with gpu in

15. ajkane

ajkane

Mybe realtemp is right and the OS is putting enough load on the CPU. What are the temps for all of the software on load?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087731

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice