1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

C2D Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by x82nd, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. x82nd

x82nd Thread Starter

I am currently running:

Processor Brand Intel®
    Processor Class Pentium® 4 Processor with Hyper-Threading Technology
    Processor Speed 3.0 GHz
    Bus Speed 800 MHz
    Cache Size 1 MB
    System Chipset Intel 915G Express Chipset

I have a top notch video card X1950 I believe and 2 gigs of ram.

I have noticed alot of bottlenecking when gaming due to my cpu, and am looking to upgrade to a C2D processor and was wondering what a compairable C2D would be so I have a benchmark of what to upgrade too. Looking at the prices at compusa it would almost be cheaper to just buy a new computer (with windows vista, been putting that off... and a few other small upgrades to things) and putting in my upgraded parts then to buy just the motherboard and processor. Here is the one I am considering in my general price range but I am so confused as far as it being an upgrade when its a 1.8ghz in compairison to my 3.0ghz.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in...T5408_Minitower

Any advice would be appreciated greatly.

2. knightfallz

knightfallz

hey just passing by, thought i'd give my two cents. i use to have a p4 3.0E on a 975x mobo and when i upgraded to an e6300 core 2, it still blew my old system away. my old 3dmark05 bench was like 8k, when i upgraded i was hitting at least 10k with the slower processor. either way you need to upgrade for the future. "Dual core - do more" lol. regardless two cores is better than one, the clockspeed is a bit slower, but it's multitasking overshadoes the p4. if you are budget minded, intel has released some lower priced core2's that you can actually be happy with. their budget line just has less onboard cache. well i hopes this helps. good luck.

3. dking63

dking63

First, don't buy yet. Intel prices are dropping on July 22.

Second, buy at www.newegg.com. The C2D E6600 is $259.99 at CompUSA and $222.90 at Newegg with free shipping.

I have the new Celeron 420 Conroe-L 1.6 GHz which uses the same core as the C2Ds, and it is turning out some crazy benchemarks, so you can expect similar or better performance from the C2Ds. I have it overclocked and running stable at 2667 MHz. Here are benchmark results from PC Pitstop. It is reading as a Celeron D because it is a brand new CPU (released in early June). It is totally blowing the doors Pentium 4s at the same clock speeds with better than double the scores!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

The CompUSA link you provided in post #1 does not work.

Although you didn't list your motherboard, I know a C2D processor will not work on that board since you listed a 915G chipset and the 915 series chipsets did not support C2D processors.

Since you stated you have an X1950 card, the power supply has to be an important consideration since the X1950 is very "power hungry".

Although I couldn't see the machine you are considering I would be very careful in purchasing a "mass produced" machine due to the fact that most manufacturers only configure their machines with components barely capable of running the machine in a "stock" configuration.

In my opinion you would be much better served to modify your existing machine than to be stuck with a "mass produced" machine and have to deal with manufacturer proprietary components.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593011

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice