1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cab file

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by tlh, Dec 30, 2001.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlh

tlh Guest Thread Starter

On my hard drive under programs I have a folder named MedCh. I had no idea what it was so I clicked on it. It is a Win Zip file 4000USO.cab. It just recently added to my programs and I do not know where it came from or what it is. I tried to unzip it and it tells me it is not in zip format. What is a cab file? Would I be safe in deleting it or is connected to something else? Thank You. tlh

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

A .cab file is known as a cabinet file. Like the name implies, it's kind of like a filing cabinet that holds different files for a program install. (Simply put)

Was there a program you recently installed? This is most likely a part of that program that was left behind on purpose in case you need to "repair" or re-install the program. For example; if you download Internet Explorer 6 and run the install, it will put .cab files in a special folder kind of as a backup in case the install failed so you wouldn't have to download the whole program again. If the program works, you can later delete the cabs to free up space if you choose. Many computer manufactors (Gateway etc etc) put the cab files of Win98 on the hardrive(C:\Windows\Options\CABS) and then give you a recovery CD. This is like having the Win98 CD on your hardrive only in cab format.
    It is recommended that you do NOT delete these cab files.

As for your cab file, I would leave it lay as it is not a virus or anything that is hurting you other than taking up some space. The program you installed may indeed refer back to this cab file for an update or a "repair" in the future.

If you haven't added any thing new, then you can rename the file to 4000USo_Old and hang onto it and see if your computer runs OK for a few weeks or month or so. If everything is OK after that, then move it to a floppy (if it isn't to big) or delete it. Also, you can download a cab viewer and look inside this file. Maybe a readme.txt inside of it will shed some light on what it is.

3. tlh

tlh Guest Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. It is not a large file so I will just leave as is. I had no idea what a cab file is and you certainly explained it well. Thanks tlh

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice