1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cab files

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by theknife, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theknife

theknife Thread Starter

hey all...wonder if anyone could give me some advice on the following...

i am trying to install a webcam on W98, but i keep getting a message to load the W98 cd and look for certain cab files. when i load the W98 cd i have, the files are not found. however, the W98 disk that i have is a copy a friend gave me and the cab files are all zipped - i assume this is why my comp can't find them on the disk.

is there any reason i cannot copy the zipped cab files from the cd into my comp and then unzip them in c>windows>options>cab? and if so, does it matter which folder they go into in the cab file (there are already a bunch of folders there)?

thanks in advance!:)

2. flyeater

flyeater

3. theknife

theknife Thread Starter

i'm using my girlfriend's backup copy of W98 to get a copy of the files that i am legally entitled to as a W98 license holder (my HP Pavillion comes with a recovery disk, not the W98 cd). i don't see anything illegal here at all. next?

4. flyeater

flyeater

98 is on the recovery disc. It will be unzipped as well. When it prompts you to insert the win98 cd just use the recovery disc. It should be there. I hope my last post didn't sound rude but my hands are tied.

5. Stormysdad

Stormysdad

Here's an easy tip, go into My Computer and look at your C drive and see if there's a folder named Win98. If yes, great, if not that's ok too. Don't close that window. Insert your Windows 98 cd in your cd-rom. If it auto-starts, close it. Open another My Computer window and right click on the D drive ( or whatever drive your cd-rom is) and select Explore. Locate the Win98 folder. Right click on the folder and select Copy. Now right click on your C drive icon and select Paste. If prompted to overwrite files select Yes to all. It should take around 2 minutes to copy. When finished, right click on the Win98 folder on your C drive. Select Properties, it should show 173Mb. Now, when you are prompted for the Windows cd, just go to the drop down menu or select the browse feature and have the search go to your C:\Win98 file and you should be all set.

6. Hairy

Hairy

the cab files are always zipped....

what file / what webcam?

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    TheKnife:

Confirm if that HP has a C:\Windows\Options\Cabs folder. If it does, when you are prompted to insert the Windows CD, click OK, type in the above file path, then click OK again. It should then look for and copy the files it wants. If it has a C:\Win98 folder instead, then type in that file path.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips:)

8. theknife

theknife Thread Starter

thanks all - somehow it all started working with Stormy's suggestion...was never able to find the needed files on the HP recovery disk. the webcam is a Veo StingRay - $20 WalMart special that worked quite well until i recently reformatted my HD.
    this particular incident is one of of 20 or 30 minor glitches I've been fighting with ever since...

thanks again to everyone who chose to exercise common sense over paranoia...nice to see a sense of fair use and digital consumer rights prevail here

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112671

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice