1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable/Box to TV wirelessly

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by lknforhelp, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lknforhelp

lknforhelp Thread Starter

My father in nursing home. Safety restrictions aplenty,no extension cords, no running extra cable to dad's area, etc.

Dad can have a tv , has very poor eyesight, the room has only one cable outlet into the room . It is a 2 bed room, the cable connection is located on the #2 bed,, side of the room. Which is where Dad's tv would have to go, next to the other mans tv on top of their wardrobe, which is located on the #2 bed side of the room. Right now the nursing home cable connection requires a small cable box for each tv. Dad's poor eyesight would not allow him to watch a tv that was 20 feet away without it being a 40 inch tv. Just not enough room to do that.
    Nursing home said they can split the cable signal with a splitter, but can't run cable from there over to dad's part of the room(safety).
    I need to hook up some sort of wireless device to hook to cable splitter/box, then send signal wirelessly to a tv that would be on dad's eating table that has rollers that go under the bed and he could get the tv as close as he wants it to be. I have an extra rolling table that I would use just for the tv. I have seached online a little but find things like 'analog signals wirelessly transmitted' I am pretty sure the cable tv is no longer analog, all are digital???????????

I have been told by nursing home that in the near feature that the cable company is going to put in a super duper cable box that would eliminate individual cable boxes that are now required for each tv set.
    So what ever I buy would or should buy, should be able to connect to cable box or connect to just the splitter. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I just need something simple yet functional, it doesn't have to go through walls or around corners, just something that sends the cable signal wirlelessly to my dad's probably new 20inch flat screen tv. Also hopefully there would not be any interference to the other gentleman's tv, which would be normally connected to cable/box.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

This is an example of what you need,but the problem is you
    still have to plug it in somewhere.
    Will they allow that?
    Might check around for a similar,cheaper system.
    This is just an example.
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&cp=17&gs_id=31&xhr=t&q=wireless+cable+tv+repeater&pq=wireless+cable+repeater&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1152&bih=575&wrapid=tljp132442947362724&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9771578740375945739&sa=X&ei=bjDxTqnjKMmasgKA1YWfAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CG4Q8wIwAA#
    Basic cable is still mostly analog.
    Looks like something like this will send the output of the cable
    box to the TV and also includes a remote extender that would
    go by the cable box to control the cable box through the wireless system.

3. lknforhelp

Limited number of electrical outlets. With Your suggestion it looks as if I would need 1 for transmitter at the cable splitter location. I would need 2 electrical outlet at bedside for receiver and tv. I guess I would need to contact mfg to be sure. I don't think I would need the audio/video cables that comes with their unit. I would assume that would be for older tv's. Sort of makes me mad that Suddenlink cable company doesn't have any suggestions with my problem.
    Thanks
    Bill

4. lknforhelp

I looked at the details of sender and I think it says I have to use the RCA(AV) cables . 1 From transmitter to an AV device then it can transmit signal. Then connect RCA cables from receiver to TV.

That would mean some AV device would need an electrical outlet also. With limited outlets and can't use a electrical power outlet splitter ie extension cord to plug multiple devices into. My hands could be tied.

5. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

The transmitter connects at the cable box and plugs in there.
    The receiver plugs into the wall by the TV.
    The RCA cables plug into the TV audio video connection.
    Most TV's have those nowadays.
    No extra devices are needed.
    You just put the TV on the output channel of the receiver and
    use the remote to change channels.
    It works a lot like hooking up a VCR or DVD player.
    It should also be able to use just the standard cable connection.
    The RCA connections are there in case the cable connection
    is being used by something else.
    It's just convenient to have another way to connect it.

Actually,on the unit I posted,it looks like the RCA is video input
    to monitor a camera or video device,so you don't need to worry
    about that.
    Just use the cable connector.

6. lknforhelp

I Will have to do some more reconning.
    Electric outlets needed
    1 For Cable box
    1 For Transmitter
    Those are for the cable outlet location. I will see if outlet plugins are available. Remember no electric splitter if it does'nt plug into wall, not allowed.

1 For TV
    1 For Receiver

I will have to investigate and find all wall electric outlet available and where.
    Thanks about the use of the rca cables just wasn't sure if they had to be used.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice