1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable Connection Problom

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by evenstevo, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. evenstevo

evenstevo Thread Starter

I have recently had a cable modem installed so I can access high speed internet. When the cable guy finished plugging everything in, my computer would not read the ethernet plugin so I could continue the process. The cable company tech support advised me to buy a new ethernet connector since mine wasnt showing up in the device manager (it was showing up, but with a yellow exclamation point by it). I browsed my recover disc and found a folder named ethernet. Im hoping I can reinstall the drive from here, but I don't know what the next step is or if there is one. I have no problom forking over 20 bucks for a new ether connector, but I would like to be able to do everything possible before I do.

2. norton850

norton850

Right click on the network connector and choose properties what does it say about it.

3. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

I would have thought that if you had the modem installed by the cable guy it should have been up and running before he left,and he should have showed you that surely ....I dont know where you are in the World but thats the way its done in the UK .... Does it not have a connection for USB?

4. norton850

norton850

"I would have thought that if you had the modem installed by the cable guy it should have been up and running before he left,and he should have showed you that surely "

Have to agree with that! But it's the same with a lot of things. We had a new refrigerator delivered last week. The guys that brought it said the water line for the ice maker won't fit and we needed a plumber. Two minutes after they were gone I had it attached. Not sure what they were talking about. Seemed to me they were in a hurry to get home.

5. evenstevo

evenstevo Thread Starter

It doesn't even show up in the network connector. Im in the U.S. and it was around 9:00 by the time he got finished installing the TV cable and got around to my computer. Could I get somthing out of my recover CD?

6. norton850

norton850

I thought something was showing up in Device Manager with an exclamation mark under Network Adapters?

7. evenstevo

evenstevo Thread Starter

o, i thought you ment going through control panel.
    When I hit properties in that I simply get a message that says

"This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."

And I have no software or anything for it of course, so I cant reinstall anything.

8. replay

replay

what kind of ethernet card do u have........ do u just need the driver for it?

9. norton850

norton850

The driver might on the CD. Try to point to the installer to the disc.

10. evenstevo

evenstevo Thread Starter

I don't know what kind it is, The only thing they told me was to get a new ethernet controller.

11. replay

replay

go to device mgr and click on network adapters and post what kind of what kind of ethernet card u have and we can see if we can get the driver

12. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

I would have thought that you should have been left with an installation CD for the modem at least,on that would have been some info plus the drivers for the modem ....if you dont have that CD, can you post the name,make,any numbers on the modem,so that between us we can sort out where you can get the drivers etc ....looks to me thats what you are missing at this moment ....

Sorry to many of us posting at the minute,Ill stand back and watch for a while

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You've danced all around the issue, how about a make/model for the computer, a make/model for the modem, and the version and patch level of Windows in use?

If this is an external modem, then the driver in question is your network interface card NIC, and not the modem. Please give us enough information to help you.

14. evenstevo

evenstevo Thread Starter

I finally got it working, turns out there were drivers on my recover CD that came with my old videocard. Whne I uninstalled the old car, it got rid of my ethernet driver. Working great now, thx for your help.

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice