1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable connectors

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bruinator, Dec 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bruinator

bruinator Banned Thread Starter

Just wondering what the following stand for when it comes to cable connectors

SC
    ST
    mtrj
    fddi

And are the used with the following

10BaseF
    100BaseT
    100BaseTX

Any help is appreciated.

2. pinntech

pinntech

They are Fiber Optic Cables. I don't have the exact definitions of all of the different types you mentioned. I do know that FDDI stands for "Fiber Distributed Data Interface". I could dig out my old book and look them up for you if really, really must know! LOL Sorry, just a little lazy tonight!

3. bruinator

if and when you get a chance...no hurry....thanks

4. bruinator

5. O111111O

O111111O

(MTRJ) Mechanical Transfer Registered Jack * - Took off like a lead baloon.
    (ST) Straight Tip *
    (SC) Standard Connector ~
    (LC) Lucent / Local Connector (lucent invented) ~~
    (FDDI) Fiber Distributed Data Interface *

* Very seldomly used anymore, if at all.
    ~ Still in use, everywhere (Single Mode and Multimode)
    ~~ Becomming defacto for high density installations (Ditto)

10BaseF was implemented ST and SC connections, I believe some MTRJ (I only ever saw MTRJ or FOCIS with Token switches.)

100BaseT/100BaseTX are copper implementations. They use RJ-45's.

Here's a neat link with pictures of fiber connectors.

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/fiberconnect.html

6. pinntech

pinntech

He has them right. I pulled out the old book and looked them up!

7. UNIKSERV

UNIKSERV

Isn't FDDI still implemented in a double ring topology for some WAN implementations?

Joe

8. O111111O

O111111O

Not really. FDDI was never really a WAN technology. More campus/metro Ethernet. Fairly high reliability, token passing, ring healing et al. Also, FDDI was primarily only 100MB, never any implementation for QOS n' such. By today's standards it's fairly useless.

A similar newer technology (RPR) is in production in many locations. It utilizes packet-over-SONET (POS) as the bearer, and typically delivers GigEthernet in a ring fashion. See it alot for Metro/Campus medical installations. 50ms ring wrapping. Great if you never want to drop a packet. [medical imaging]

Keep in mind, OC-768 has been around since the ".com bubble", and is finally starting to see some acceptance. OC-192/10GE deployment is becoming common. IETF/IEEE are ratifying standards for OC-1920 (That's 100gbps)

9. O111111O

O111111O

Not really. FDDI was never really a WAN technology. More campus/metro Ethernet. Fairly high reliability, token passing, ring healing et al. Also, FDDI was primarily only 100MB, never any implementation for QOS n' such. By today's standards it's fairly useless.

A similar newer technology (RPR) is in production in many locations. It utilizes packet-over-SONET (POS) as the bearer, and typically delivers GigEthernet in a ring fashion. See it alot for Metro/Campus medical installations. 50ms ring wrapping. Great if you never want to drop a packet. [medical imaging]

Keep in mind, OC-768 has been around since the ".com bubble", and is finally starting to see some acceptance. OC-192/10GE deployment is becoming common. IETF/IEEE are ratifying standards for OC-1920 (That's 100gbps)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/524617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice