1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cable disconects

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by spruce, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spruce

spruce Thread Starter

For the past week or so i would loose my cable connection,i called my isp twice ,one said that i must install an ethernet card the other one said that its my firewall{sygate free ed.}and i should disconnect it. What do you think. Tks for your help

2. TheRef310

TheRef310

an ethernet card COULD help, give us system specs too. What are you plugging it into right now? Also, sometik=mes thee firewall could screw with your cable, but I'm not sure how. Again, System specifics, type of connection (Company), etc, are needed to truely diagnose the problem

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When the cable disconnects, what are the indications on the cable modem? If it loses carrier, it has NOTHING to do with what's on your side of the modem, and is clearly a problem for the ISP. OTOH, if the carrier stays up, it may be either your problem or theirs, we'd probably need more info.

If you're using a USB connection and you have an Ethernet capable modem, I'd STRONGLY suggest you get a NIC and lose the USB connection to the cable modem.

4. spruce

spruce Thread Starter

i think i will do as you suggest and lose the usb .
    Thanks a lot for your help

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167231

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice