Cable Disconnected . . Connected

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Old Rich

I got a real toe-stumper on my hands . . Built a new GA-K8nf-9 motherboard with nVidia nFOrce4 chipset . . AMD Athlon 64 . . nVidia 10/100/1000 Network Adaptor.

I assembled on bench and installed XP Pro and all programs with no problem . . after a few hours, moved the tower into production and I get the "Network Cable disconnected" message, followed immediately by "Connected at 100 mps" message . . happens every minute or so . .

Same network as the workbench, but much closer to the switch . . maybe three feet . .

I changed out cables with no effect . . The only way I can stop the repeated disconnected/connected balloon messages is to set the Speed/Duplex setting to 10 half duplex . . any other settings causes the repeated disconnectrd/connected bubble.

Not real sure this is handicaping the networking, but this machine was intended to be the "Hooking Bull" of the network . . kinda embarassing to have it ratting me out that it is only connected at 10 Mps. .

Any idea what else I could try to get it up to full speed?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Just a thought, I'd try another NIC. It sounds like a driver or hardware problem. Trying a new adapter will tell you if that's the case.

Old Rich

Thanks . . I guess I could try that . .the nic is onboard . . and I did update to the newest driver on nVidia site . . ( should have said that the first time ) . .

but I wonder why it would work fine on the workbench, roughly 25 feet from the switch, but have this problem in production , , much closer to the switch . .

What little hair I have is going out the door!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'd suspect the cable if it works properly on the bench. Are you sure you don't have one of those cables with the mis-wired pairs? :)

Old Rich

I'll check that, but have tried two cables with no improvement . . The machine that was on the desk was networking fine . . just slow as molassas . . this one is really fast, but internet connection is strange . . Planning to put a pci network card in in the morning to see what that does

Thanks

Did this problem get resolved? If so, how?

I'm having the same problem (although I'm not technical and haven't tried any of the above-mentioned measures - not even sure what is a NIC).

I'm on the same LAN as another computer (about 2 feet away) that is not having the problem at all.

Additionally, when I check the properties on the LAN, it does not register all of these interrupts - although I definitely get a degradation of service.

If someone can provide some "dummy-friendly" info to help me with this, I'd sure appreciate it.

Old Rich

NIC is a Network Interface Card . . that is my next step, but got sidetracked on a more urgenti issue this morning . . will definately report back with resutls of adding a new card

Old Rich

Well . . Paint my toenails and call me Mabel ! :)

Stuck a PCI NIC in and the repeated disconnected/connected problem went away . . mus' be a bug in the nVidia drivers ( or chipset?) , , but I wonder why it would have worked fine on the workbench ( about 50 feet away from the switch, yet not work on the desk . . maybe 3 feet away fmo the switch . .

O well . . :D

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
There is an issue with Ethernet cables being too short, but I thought it was something like less than a foot...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online