1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bill P, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bill P

Bill P Thread Starter

I am putting in an enclosure. It will spred out my two hard drives and my existing cable is too short. I have a Dell 8200 and the Dell book says that it is cable select and to set the drives to cable select. I bought a Belkin cable and it will not boot. When I put everything back to original it's fine. Is the Dell cable special for cable select? If so how can I get a longer cable that is cable select.

2. norton850

norton850

With cable select the position of the drive on the cable determines the master/slave settings. Your boot drive needs to go at the end of the cable with the slave on the middle connector. You'll also want an 80 wire cable.

3. Bill P

Bill P Thread Starter

I did a google for cable select cables and found out you have to have a special cable and my system is obviously set up for it. Now I need to find one long enough.

4. Bill P

Bill P Thread Starter

After doing some research and trying I found out my problem is not the cable. It is the enclosure that is causing the problem. The 80 wire cable will support cable select.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What enclosure are we talking about here?

For Cable select you must use a 80 wire cable and the primary/Master drive must be at the end of the cable connected to the blue plug. The secondary/Slave drive must be in the middle connector. Then each drive must have its jumper set to the cable select position.

Or you can forget about cable select altogether. Set the primary drive to Master and the secondary drive to Slave with the jumpers at the back of each drive. Dell is one of the few fans of Cable Select, barely anyone else cares as it doesn't always work.

Also you can buy a longer IDE cable at any computer store. Just make sure its an 80 wire cable rated for ATA100 or ATA133.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329881

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice