1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable Internet and a hub

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Darendor, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Darendor

Darendor Thread Starter

Hello...I have a question regarding a setup here...

I've moved into a house that has Cable Internet, and my computer is one of 3 that are on the hub. It seems that every so often I get bumped off the connection, as does the other renter here (we rent rooms in this house). The connection takes anywhere from 2-12 hours to right itself. Running an "ipconfig" at the command prompt tells me I have an IP address but I can't connection to anything outside of the cable modem.

Anyone got any ideas as to what is causing this? Thanks.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Does the provider accept more than one computer being able to have access to the internet at the same time?

3. Darendor

Darendor Thread Starter

Well, when you call them for tech support, they tell you that they don't provide support for hubs or routers or anything.

I'm guessing that it's an inherent thing that hubs and routers kinda mess up connections when they split them among computers. Is that what's going on here?

4. ~Candy~

Well, if you had a router, they couldn't 'see' what you have running behind it :)

But that is correct, they won't try to assist you in doing this ;)

5. Darendor

Darendor Thread Starter

So can you help me figure out why the connection keeps going out on me?...

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

My guess is you are only allowed one IP address, and you occasionally manage to get two machines connected. Get a broadband router, I'll bet this problem is history.

7. ~Candy~

/\ :D What he said :D /\

8. Darendor

Darendor Thread Starter

So it works most of the time as is, but from time to time it'll conk out on us?...

I see. How much are broadband routers?

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you're in the US, you can find rebate deals on broadband routers that bring the price down to around $10-20. You get firewall protection for free in the package. :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice