1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable internet connection problem...

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by paladin1, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paladin1

paladin1 Thread Starter

Have just had a cable modem internet connection installed on the WinXP Home partition; it took them just minutes to set up; everything seems to be OK, except I can't get into my Hotmail account. No matter there.
    What I really need help with is when I try to boot to Win98SE, I keep getting: "A fatal exception 08 has occurred at 3246:00000028"
    Being new to cable internet connections, I'm at a loss. Everything was working fine prior to this installation. Before they came, I installed the NIC card, drivers, etc. No problems, (on both WinXP and Win98SE).
    Can anyone point me in the right direction, as to what to check first? If possible, I'd like to keep the double boot setup.
    Could not find anything in google on that particular BSOD.

Thanks in advance,
    paladin1

2. Del

Del

Don't think it's a problem with the cable connection at all if you are getting the BSOD when you try to boot to 98. Sounds more like a dual boot problem. How long have you had it as a dual boot and did it just start after you installed the NIC and cable on both?

3. IMM

IMM

That's a WEIRD address. The last time I saw something like it - it was power management related, and fixed by a bios update. (suspend to RAM issue if I recall)

Can you list your hardware (motherboard (or laptop model), bios version, NIC make, etc.)

4. paladin1

paladin1 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Have had the dual-boot setup for about 6 months; never a problem, even after I installed the NIC card and drivers (Netgear FA311). The problem started after the Comcast tech set up everything on the WinXP partition. XP works fine, for the most part.

The only thing I could find concerning the BSOD was that it was a double fault, whatever that means.

Have the latest BIOS version: 1009, for Asus A7V133 mobo; Athlon 1800 XP+; 512MB RAM; 60 GB HDD.

Win98SE on C:\ and WinXP Home on D:\

Any further help appreciated,
    paladin1

5. paladin1

paladin1 Thread Starter

Any further advice would be very welcome; thanks to those who replied,

paladin1

6. IMM

IMM

Means that processing the exception triggered a second exception.

You didn't say what the NIC was.

Have you applied the shutdown supplement to SE?
    The other fix for SE that is likely mandatory for your hardware is the Windows IDE Hard Drive Cache Package
    Both can be had from http://microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/corporate.asp if you haven't applied them (or got thm from windows update.

What are your power management settings? I guess I can assume that you're using the ACPI bios? What do the interrupts look like in SE - and have you looked through SAFE mode's Device Manager for extraneous entries?

A good virus scan has been run on SE?

7. paladin1

paladin1 Thread Starter

Thanks for replying. The cable modem is connected to a NIC card (Netgear FA311). I booted into W98 in safe mode and disabled the NIC. This then allowed me to re-boot to W98 normally, (did have to adjust monitor settings). Now I'm wondering if I should remove the NIC card from Device Manager, and then re-boot, allowing Windows to add it again. Should I disconnect the cable modem when trying this?
    Have all Windows 98 updates installed. Yes, ACPI. No conflicts of any kind, and no extraneous entries in Device Manager. My anti-virus software is up to date, and have never had a virus in Win98SE.

Thanks for any thoughts on this,
    paladin1

8. IMM

IMM

9. paladin1

paladin1 Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. I do have the latest driver version. After reading through some of that link, I found it very interesting that there could still be conflicts, even though Windows says there are not. Thanks again for your help, I'm off to resolve this issue.

paladin1

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice