1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable internet question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Gatekeeper, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Thread Starter

I need to split my coax so i can hook up my tv to cable and internet to the cable modem. i tried using just a cheap splitter and it didn't work so do i need a good splitter or a different kind of splitter?

Help me out thanks

2. Del

Del

Normally with cable, they run a better quality coax from where the cable comes it, straight to the cable modem. Every splitter you add cuts your signal down.
    If you get a good quality splitter, it should work, or you might contact your cable company and get the internet techs and ask them.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The 1->2 splitter at the entrance where the cable comes in is key, and it has to be one with 5-1000mhz bandwidth, many cheap ones roll off sharply in the 10-20mhz range, and they'll kill your return signal. Obviously, any distribution amp or additional splitters will nuke the return signal.

4. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

I may be suggesting the obvious but I would not let the cable guys leave my house until both Internet and cable TV were working. This should be a free service call.

5. Del

Del

I'm thinking it was all working when the cable guy left, and gatekeeper is rearranging.
    Is that correct or not gatekeeper?

6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Thread Starter

No Del i didn't mess with it and theres a reason the cable guy didn't hook my tv up but we don't need to go there and i think i had a bad end on my cable or cable was broke someplace cause i hooked up another cable with a 5-1000 splitter and it works fine

7. Del

Del

Well when I had cable, they made sure the internet worked but that was it, I know he ran a new coax to the modem.
    But that's water under the bridge, as long as you're online and surfing, what the heck.
    Glad you got it fixed..

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118113

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice