1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable internet speed like dialup..please help!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by henschel17, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. henschel17

henschel17 Thread Starter

Heres whats up. About 2 weeks ago my cable internet started slowing way down. At first i had it connected to a modem and into a wireless router, but i thought that was the problem so i got rid of the router, but its still ridiculous slow. I mean its taking like 3 hours to download 45 mbs of stuff. Please help me!!! I know nothing about networking so.....

2. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

You got rid of the router??? So what are you using for a firewall?

Start by making sure you are spyware and virus free.

3. henschel17

henschel17 Thread Starter

I am using just the windows firewall right now, but i just did a complete windows reinstall 2 days ago hoping that would fix the problem, but it didnt...

4. Gnomad

Gnomad

Try to replace the splitter where your line comes in to your house and splits to the TV's and the cable modem.

5. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Whoa there horsie. You don't want go to just swapping out parts without any attempt to narrow down the issue.

First step. Go to dslreports.com or other bandwidth test site. Run a couple of tests at different times. Print the results. Talk to your ISP if the test show a significate difference between what you are paying for [you never ever get the advertized rates] and what you get.

Again [since you don't say] you need to be spyware and virus free.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Connect one computer directly to the cable modem.
    Turn off the modem and computer.
    Turn on the modem, wait for a steady data light.
    Boot the computer.

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. Post the results link from the top of the test display page here.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/679531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice