1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable Internet

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bryon, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bryon

Bryon Thread Starter

I have windows XP Pro and am supposed to get hooked up with cable internet service. I ran the cable up, connected everything, the tech came out with the modem, and CD. He says everything will just work when you boot up, follow the instructions, enter what is called for and you'll be ready to go. Nothing works and the tech didn't know what to do. They said with the "cable" light blinking on the modem, we'll have to send out a tech. Any ideas why I'm having so much trouble for something supposed to be so easy?
    Thanks for any help, Bryon

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

What kind of modem is it?

Terayon?

3. Bryon

Bryon Thread Starter

Yes

4. Cheeseball81

Ok so I take it that the first button is solid green..

Middle is blinking green...

Third is solid green...

Yes?

5. Bryon

Bryon Thread Starter

Yes, that's correct.

6. Cheeseball81

Is the middle one blinking fast or slow?

The tech only brought the modem? But never hooked it up with the cables?

7. Bryon

Bryon Thread Starter

The middle light is blinking slow. He brought the Modem, Made sure I hooked everything up right, (pretty basic) and when I started going through the install, ran into prob's with the connection (USB) and was told be better off with 10/100 cable. went and got a network card, installed the drivers, tried it again, same thing, tries to connect to dns server and has an error.

8. Cheeseball81

Hmm...

Well it sounds like it's set up correctly...just can't find a connection...

First thing you can try (unless you already have) is unplug the modem's power cord from the wall outlet, and wait about 1 minute. Then, replug the modem back in.

If that doesn't work, verify your IP address

go to START, RUN, type in winipcfg

Click the Release button, this will set a line of zero's

Then click the Renew button, numbers will replace the zero's

Press OK

9. Bryon

Bryon Thread Starter

That winipcfg can't be found

10. Cheeseball81

Ah right, forgot you have XP....

Go to Network Connections in the Control Panel, then right-click the connection you're interested in and pick Status. If you click the Support tab, you'll see your IP.

Quick question too...when you go into Device Manager, under Network Adapters...is your netword card listed?

11. Bryon

Bryon Thread Starter

Yes, it was. I can't do much else right now, I reinstalled phone modem to get back on the net. All I get is the current ISP in network connections. Thanks for all the help. I will be back.
    Bryon

12. Cheeseball81

Ok...thought I would send this along to hopefully help:

Windows XP TCP/IP Setup

1.From the desktop, select Start > Control Panel. (The Control Panel will open in either Classic View or Category View.)
    2.In Classic View, select the Network Connections icon.
    In Category View, select Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections > Network Connections > Local Area Connection.
    3.If you are not connected to the Internet, proceed to step 4.
    If you are connected, choose Properties.
    4.Click the General tab, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) or highlight it and choose Properties.
    5.Click the General tab and ensure that the radio buttons are set for Obtain IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.
    6.Click the Alternate Configuration tab and ensure that Automatic private IP address is set.
    7.Choose the General tab > Advanced.
    8.On the IP Settings tab, ensure that the IP address shows DHCP Enabled, Default gateways is empty, and the Automatic metric box is checked.
    9.Click the DNS tab and ensure that only Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes and Register this connection's address in DNS are set.
    10.Click the WINS tab. Ensure that Enable LMHOSTS lookup and Default in the NetBIOS setting section are selected. (Nothing is required on the Options tab.)
    11.Click OK.
    12.Restart the computer. When the computer boots up, the connection should be established. If not, choose Start > Control Panel > Network Settings. Right-click the Local Area Connection icon and select Enable. The computer should connect to the Internet.

13. Bryon

Bryon Thread Starter

Cheeseball81; tried everything you mentioned, to no avail. I can't beleive this.

14. Old Rich

Old Rich

On most cable modems, a bliniing "Cable" light means the signal is not strong enough to connect . . the cable company will probably have to run a new cable to the Modem. The installer should have at least stayed around long enough to verfy the modem was getting a signal.

wrs

15. Bryon

Bryon Thread Starter

I think you are right. Just talked to Tech Support again and they mentioned the same thing. Question: what will a new cable do? I ran a different cable to make sure it wasn't the cable giving me the problems. Not the same?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice