1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable Modem and Internet problems (weird)

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by encopitt, Oct 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. encopitt

encopitt Thread Starter

ok, so here's the deal. I'm accessing this site from work right now, cause I can't get to it from home. I've got a Motorola surfboard Cable modem, and it's connected to a pc anywhere ethernet card. I can connect to certain sites such as MSN.com or CNN.com or Yahoo.com, but If I try to login to my hotmail or click on a link on any of those pages, I get cannot find server error messages. The funnything is that in the title bar of IE I can see the title of the page that I'm trying to view.

I went to Computingcentral.com and ran the speed test, and it came up that I was connected at 547 k a sec. but that's the only link that I've gotten to work from a website.

I called my cable internet tech support (Charter Pipeline) and they had no idea what it could be, except for browser problems. we checked all the settings, TCP/IP and browser. So I uninstalled IE 6 and went back to 5.0. well, 5.0 didn't work, so I upgraded to 5.5, which went well considering I can't connect to most sites, and yet I still am having this problem. has anyone experienced this, and if so, what settings do I need to change, or what else can I do?
    Could this be signal noise, or what? I was getting a good ping from work today, about 200 ms, so I don't know what's up.

2. Del

Del

What operating system are you running? Win 98?
    You car try pinging an ip address and a FQDN and see if it's related to the DNS or not.
    Del

3. encopitt

encopitt Thread Starter

Believe it or not, It's working now. Must have been a signal problem, it's the only thing that I can think of.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/55960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice