1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable Modem Connection issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Flooder305, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flooder305

Flooder305 Thread Starter

I recently did a clean install of XP SP2, because I believe it got corrupted somehow, but now that I'm back online and everything is up and running again, my browser, Mozilla Firefox, keeps slowing down after a short period of time. If I pull the power plug on the cable modem (Motorola provided by Comcast) and let it sit for a period of time, when it repowers and connects, the speeds are lightning fast again. What is going on here? And more importantly how can I fix it (other than swapping out the modem)?

2. kalisun

kalisun

You need to isolate the problem down to either computer or modem...

Computer:
    Try a "ping" test and see if your losing packets. Check your connections and ethernet card to make sure somethings not shorting out and packet storming your modem..sometimes a bad cable or net card can cause it. Try a different ethernet cable.

Modem:
    See if you can have the cable company do a "level check" and "noise check" on your modem. You might have an issue with noise on your line...

If possible look at trying another system, maybe a laptop on your connection. That way you can see if its your system or the cable modem..

Hope this helps!

3. Flooder305

Flooder305 Thread Starter

I've done multiple ping tests, and they all come back with 0 packet loss, and 14-18ms ping times. After a short period of time, the speed just goes to crap. I'm not running any Comcast proprietary software any longer as a result of the reinstallation of Windows. So I'll change out the ethernet cable, but the only other things are the ethernet card and the modem right? Thanks again.....

4. kalisun

kalisun

Check your "data" or "activity" light on your modem and see if it's flickering like crazy...if it is and it's not stopping, then more than likely something is up between your comp and modem. Taking into account that your system is completely clean...

The data light should never be pinging like crazy and never stop, that means that something is flooding your connection, maybe bad port on your card, bad cable connectors, or a bad port on the cable modem...

If you don't have that problem, then check with your provider to see if they can check your modem/line for noise..line noise can slow down your connection tremendously...

I haven't heard of a net card slowing down, most of the time it either works or not, that's it..but for the modem side, I have seen it slow down...

Hope this helps!

5. HandleX

HandleX

good information ;)

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, when I look at my Comcast cable modem, the data light is pulsing constantly, and that's normal operation. I actually went to the trouble of finding out why, and it appears that a couple of years ago, their upgraded equipment constantly sends out ARP requests to all the subnets on a gateway, and they all hit the modem.

The flashing light is not a reliable indicator of network loading.

7. HandleX

HandleX

wow, i was just wondering this as well as i read this thread. good looking john!

8. kalisun

kalisun

Good catch, John...I didn't think of that..my service provider is Time Warner and we don't get that constant ping, like Comcast...

But, do have them check your modem for line noise...

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

For sure, it's just that the blinking light isn't going to tell you much. :) I use the PING tests at www.dslreports.com to see if I have packet loss.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/464062

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice