Cable Modem crapping out intermittently...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nuke345

Ok, I'm about ready to walk over to Comcast @Home's HQ and kill them. I've gotten so much trouble from the modem!

Here's the deal:

We've got two computers connected to @Home. One works absolutely fine. The one I use, well, doesn't. I log on, then the internet works just peachy for about 30 seconds. It suddenly stops working for about 5-10 min. After that period of time I can get on for about 5 more minutes, then it'll crap out again. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

One thing that I think may have something to do with it. If I go to Network Properties, where it lists all of the protocols and such, on the computer that works, it has two of each protocol (TCP/IP, IPX, etc.). One will be TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adaptor, and the other says TCP/IP -> SMC EtherEZ (8416). On the bad computer, it lists each protocol only once by itself.

I've been to @Home Tech Support many times and tried just about everything, and I was wondering if anyone has a clue what the problem could be.

As nobody else has replied I would suggest going to www.speedguide.net and installing the mtu patch for your os.

Then go to www.dslreports.com and in the tools section there are speed tests and a tweak section that will analysis your machine and provided feedback on changes needed to optimize your connection.

But it could just be your isp to

nuke345

well, I solved it...

All I had to do was go into winipcfg and release all, then renew all. Now it works...

Sorry to waste your webspace :D

nuke345

er... never mind.

a few days after my supposed solving of the problem, I am yet again in trouble.

Same problem, only more frequent, and I know how to temporarily fix it.

Using the winipcfg thingy posted above, I can bring back the connection immediately after crapping out for about 5 minutes. Then it goes out again, and I have to go back into winipcfg, and so on.

It's annoying as hell, having to go and release and renew my ip every 5 minutes.

Any more suggestions?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online