1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable modem problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Retehi, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Retehi

Retehi Thread Starter

My cable connection's download has dropped to 115 kilobits. My upload is still at 125 though. I use Comcast and am wondering if they did something to their clients' download capability. Thanks

2. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

I use comcast, and your caped. What I mean is this:

your download should be 128 = 1.5mbs and up 128 = 128klbs only because of the cap put on the the cable company.

If you use a P2P program and your allow your full up speed 128klbs then it will affect your downloading speed very much.
    This is just to give you an idea.

Now if your downloading has drop to 115 klbs then there is a problem. I would try the tweak in my sig below [speedtweak]
    Or reinstall the software that came with the modem or just have it repair it.

It could be something in the network setting that need to be changed.

Like goto your internet explorer and right click on it and scroll down until you see properties and click properties and then go to connection tab and on bottom lans and make sure you just have detect Ip check only, if any esle is checked then uncheck it.

Then goto the tab advance and on bottom click restore defaults.
    If this doesn't help I will walk you through your TCP/IP setting to see what maybe causing this.

J

3. Retehi

Retehi Thread Starter

While I am uploading nothing, my download speed is roughly 120 kbps (15 KB/sec) and while downloading nothing my upload is 128 kbps (18 KB/sec). My download speed is ridiculousy low while my upload remains normal. I will try the tweaks offered at the site you provided but earlier I had used the resources at pcpitstop and they said my stuff was fine.

4. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Ok let me know how the tweak work. I'll walk you through some things from there, to see if anything is not right.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Unless you have an unusual cable modem connection, that's way too slow! My downloads routinely hit 200kbyte/sec with Comcast in SE-PA.

6. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

There must be a problem. I have the Pro version, very fast. Maybe this person only has a 10Mb net card but still.

I bet your this cable modem might be USB port supported and the USB drivers can't handle the speed. Not sure with this one.

7. Retehi

Retehi Thread Starter

Sorry for the delayed reply.

My speed has dropped to about 90kbps (11.25 KB/sec).

I have been using the same computer and modem for about 7 months with no problem.

-tried the patch that optimized the reg for high speeds
    -tried the patch that restored the reg to default settings
    -uninstalled Zone Alarm
    -reinstalled the drivers for my modem numerous times
    -uninstalled a download manager

Something else: About two weeks ago I tried the firewall "Look 'n Stop" and after I had uninstalled it (within the same day of its installation) it left behind a device. This device is listed under "Network adapters" and labeled "Look 'n Stop Drivers" and cannot be uninstalled because Windows (Win2k) says it may be necessary for startup. However, with the exception of today, my connection has been fine. I am not sure if this holds any relevancy.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think you have a problem on the cable provider's side of the pond, but it may take you weeks to beat them into submission. I had a problem for three weeks before I finally got someone's attention and they fixed it.

9. Retehi

Retehi Thread Starter

"The most likely solution is usually the simplest one."

I turned off the power to my modem and then rebooted. I am back to the 1.5Mbps, thankfully. I use a Toshiba PCX1100U cable modem. This is still a mystery to me, but thankfully it is not slowing me down anymore. :)

Thanks for your help, folks.

10. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

It's things like this you just don't think of :) Glad your back online there.

11. Emtronics

Emtronics

One has to re-boot the cable modem every once in awhile. :D Question? How does one actually measure your upload and download speed? Mine vary also but then I think the reason download speeds vary is because of the server you are downloading from. In other words, some download sites restrict the speed of their servers so more people may download, thus making it slower. With so much variations in servers, how can one really check to see what max upload/download speed one has?

12. Retehi

Retehi Thread Starter

http://www.dslreports.com/stest

Mine has a range. It's from 1300kbps to about 1560kbps (I got the 1560 last night). Every so often I would pull up to 1840kbps but I am not sure if I will see that speed ever again because of Comcast's new cap.

13. sabledog

sabledog Guest

14. Emtronics

Emtronics

Retehi Great site. I scored 2401 download and a 124 upload.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice