1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cable modem question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sparky65, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sparky65

sparky65 Thread Starter

how does cable modem work, can i share one cable modem between two or more computers?

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

You can share your internet using several methods. Search for them, there is lots of good info. The best methods for you are probably a router, or 802.11b.
    802.11 is wireless, router is wired.
    The other ways are a hub or switch.

3. tushkahoma

tushkahoma

I agree, I use a cable modem with a router and I am sharing files printers and a single internet connection to 4 computers.

4. Del

Del

Should work fine, the only problem is if you are connected and can't surf or have other issues, the cable company may not support you. You may have to call the Router company so find one that has Voice tech support and not email only.
    They work great, just most ISP's don't support you, once you connect more then one computer.

5. tushkahoma

tushkahoma

The ISP most likley will not support the other computers but that does not mean that you cannot surf on all computer at the same time, with DHCP enabled on the router it will assign IP"S to each workstation.

6. Del

Del

Didn't say it would not, it will work fine, however, if you run into problems, most ISP's will not help you until you bypass the router.
    That was the only point I was trying to make. I've done tech support for 3 different cable and dsl ISP's and I hate when a customer calls and can't surf and is using a router, if they don't know what they are doing. It will work, you just may be told that it is not supported, no surprises eh?

7. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

With some ISPs, its against your TOS to share internet access, so before you call tech support, unplug the router and dont say any thing about it :rolleyes:

8. tushkahoma

tushkahoma

Del you are 100 % correct. Sparkey all you have to do is hook it up and let it rip. You will never go back to anything else.

9. Del

Del

Exactly, most ISP's will support one computer connected to one modem. As a first line tiech, I hated saying 'Not Supported', but didn't want to get fired either.
    Have a great one.

10. JustMe2

JustMe2

First Name:
    Crystal
    I just activated my cable modem yesterday(doing a happy dance now!!)
    I asked comcast point blank about their policy regarding routers. They are supporting the Microsoft router now. But that's the only one. I had purchased a Belkin. Once the modem was activated on the main computer, I had no problem whatsoever moving it to the router. Sharing it with 3 computers right now, soon to be 4. And I gots to say that I'll NEVER go back to dial-up! This speed is great.
    JustMe2

11. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

From what I gather about cable ISPs, they are not going to support people with home networks (i.e. figure out how to get the Internet to son and grandpa and office, etc), and I don't blame them.

Their goal is to get you a working cable modem and then one IP address after that. They don't care if that IP address is a computer or a router. They simply want one MAC address to assign their IP address to. What you do after that is up to you. You can get more IP addresses from them at a cost of course.

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have a PC next to the cable modem and router. If the question ever comes up about the router, I just unplug from the router, plug into the PC next to the modem, and do an IPCONFIG to release and renew.

Shazam, I'm configured like a single user, and then we discuss Comcast's problems. :D

13. Del

Del

Most of the time someone with a router calls and can't browse once we bypass the router, they can browse, but I found it they turn everything off, then turn the modem on, wait a minute, turn the router back on, wait a few seconds, then turn the computers back on, and it usually works.

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It is interesting that I have to reboot my router every week or two, it will just be disconnected for no apparent reason. I have a friend that has the same experience with a different router. Your advice is good, power cycle the modem, the router, and then reboot the PC, 90% of the connectivity issues will be solved. :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice