cable modem questions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

illjudged

K I have a few questions, I am going to setup a network by sharing one internet connection via a cable modem. K first thing does the cable company have to do anything special to my cable outlet to allow me to connect to the Internet. Cause right now I currently have my cable modem hooked up stairs, I tried to plug the cable modem in downstairs and it didn't work. Also do I need any drivers to make my cable modem work or not? And one more thing do any of you know of a good program that would allow me to like create blueprints. Something a bit like AutoCAD but a lot more simple... I am going to map out the house so I can figure out how to run the cable through it. Heh and that leads me to yet another question, I am in Cisco so I am learning how to setup networks in schools with drop down ceilings and stuff but I have no clue how to do it in a house with insulated walls and all that. Any suggestions will be much appreciated…

ok, first, often times cable companies will run a separate "clean" line from the outside for the cable modem. This might be why you cannot use the modem in another outlet.

2nd, they often filter that line so you can get tv through it.

next, as far as drivers, you should be able to plug it into a network adapter with no problems. No drivers required. (other than for the nic)

For wiring your house a friend of mine ran it through the ducting in the house. I ran mine through the floor and walls, but I have an unfinished basement that really helped out. Make sure to get a cable runner (thing you tie cable to that helps you fish it around). Best $20 I ever spent.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
First off, you should use the cable company supplied 2-1 splitter at the entry point of the cable to the house. One side runs directly to your cable modem, and if you're running the wire, use low loss cable. The other side of the 2-1 splitter goes to any and all TV sets you have.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online