1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cable modem replacement

Discussion in 'Networking' started by muckmail, Apr 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I am using an Arris SBg6782-AC cable modem with a Netgear AC1750 router connected to it.
    My netowork drive uses the Netgear router 3.o USB port. I think the drive has a USB 3.0 port.

I would like to replace the Arris SBg6782-AC cable modem with an Arris SB6900-AC modem
    for better download speeds.

Considering my spec's for all 4 devices, What network configuration should
    I consider? The Arris SB6900-AC modem has a USB 2.0 port for its hard drive connection.

Is it worth the trouble of making changes?

I am on a slow "Spectrum Internet" connection.

Thank you,

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What speed are you getting now and what speed is your connection rated at by the ISP ?

You can use this to test the speed :- https://www.speedtest.net

3. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

Using the weblink above I get

Ping ms 182
    Download Mbps 2.89
    Upload mbps 1.17

Thank you,

4. irbrenda

irbrenda

I have Spectrum also. What speed are they supposed to guarantee you get? I have the UbeeDVW32CB cable modem from them with no issues and my speed is guaranteed at 200 mpbs download, which it is over a bit, upload is ridiculously slow though 11 or 12 mpbs, but I'm fine with that. I also have an old Apple Time Capsule router connected, although I don't really need it other than to use the ports on it for other devices and to extend the signal.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well if you are using a wireless modem with a wireless router, you may be getting issues between the two. Although, what is the speed that you are paying for? If you are meant to get 100+mbps then there is a problem if that speed test was with a direct connection to the modem (not wireless).

If you are looking to use a separate router, replace the modem with a modem that is not wireless.

6. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

Let me call Spectrum and see what speed I should be getting.
    I will let you know.
    I know I have their slowest service.

Most of the time I don't use wireless.
    I use Cat 5 line cable for my connections.
    Thank you,

7. irbrenda

irbrenda

Yes, I use CAT5 for my desktop, which is what I mainly use. I use wireless for all other devices, and you really can't get your expected speeds on wireless. So, when I said I am provisioned for 200mbps, I only test it on my desktop, which is old.....Vista Ultimate. (That's not by choice, but because of business) In fact, last week, I noticed a slowdown and I tested at barely 137. I placed a call to them and from their offices, they rebooted and refreshed the entire system and I was back to 225 mbps.

8. lynx1021

lynx1021

In my area the standard advertised speed is 100mb/s, I only get 50-55 mb/s. (maybe I should complain?)Didn't know they had a slower option, 2.89mb/s is like DSL. Maybe thy haven't upgraded there system in your area. You can look on their website for your area and see what they advertise.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    In the past that may be so, but modern wireless access points should provide more than 3Mbps. In my experience in the cable internet industry is that the configuration of the wireless connection may be set so it will provide low speeds, or the main cause of slowness - wireless interference. Having a wireless modem and and wireless router could cause interference with each other, as well as we don't know the placement of where the connection they use is (i.e on the floor, behind the fridge, etc)... i had one customer who had their wireless modem next to the microwave....

muckmail: If your speeds are meant to be 50Mbps or more, go for an SB61xx modem, or whatever is the new model (haven't been looking lately). They are cheaper and more easier to work with then fighting an SBG (wireless modem) as there are others factors that could cause internet issues.

10. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

The service that I have by Spectrum is called ELP service.

Spectrum said that it is 3.69 mbps. They called it ELP internet service
    This is around $49.00 per month with phone.
    The next step up for me with spectrum is 100 mbps.
    With phone it is 65.oo per month.

Maybe I should be shopping around for another internet service?
    WOW is in my area. Maybe I should look at them.

Thank you,

11. irbrenda

irbrenda

Well, I'm in Staten Island, New York. Their guaranteed speed is 200 mpbs; that's the bottom. They now offer up to 940 mpbs, like Verizon FIOS. But the standard price for that speed for Internet, Phone and Cable TV is $79.99. When I got Spectrum two years ago, it was 100mpbs, and they upped the minimum speed. I guess every area differs. But for the price here, you can't beat them.

My wireless tests at around 80-100mpbs, depending on what device I'm testing: ipad, iphone, Macbook Pro, which tests way higher wirelessly. My problem is my cable modem is in the basement and I need to reach three floors up and then across over a garage to the other side of my house. I installed the Apple Time Capsule to extend the wireless signal, but I really should have turned off the wireless signal on my Ubee to avoid a double nat.

12. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

Since I have such a slow/cheap internet service I guess making hardware changes
    will not do much. Is the correct?

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    OK well irbrenda, the issue is not the fact that muckmail is not getting 100+mbps speed... the plan muckmail is on has a top speed of 3mbps, as least that is what I am seeing regarding the Everyday Low Price plan.

Muckmail: Yes, hardware changes will not make a difference. Basically you have a ferrari (the modem) on a school zone (internet plan)
    As to speeds, you may get faster speeds from DSL for maybe the same price, but that will require a different modem.

The price I saw for ELP was $24.99... i guess that's for just internet... but anyways... can you describe what kind of usage do you do on the internet? do you have a cell phone? if so, what kind of data plan / phone plan do you have?

14. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

Well, I am cheap as I can be.
    My ELP service was much lower when I started it but Spectrum keeps jacking up
    the price over time.

Internet usage.
    E-mails.
    Forum Postings.
    Maybe download large trial programs every so often.
    Surfing, Right now I am job hunting.

Cell Phone
    ATT Prepay, It is a grand fathered account about $8.00 per month

I use the land line for message (Right now job responses)
    keep a land line mainly for 911 service and it does not use batteries

The cell gets very light use when I am away from home.
    A lot of times the battery goes out on it.

Oh yes, I have a network drive connected to the router the I used to
    it store files that I want to keep.

Thank you,

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  15. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    OK. You may want to look into DSL to see if it's cheaper for phone/internet... but again, you will need a new modem which you would need to get from the provider... I feel the pain of costs... my bill is 250 for all 3 but we don't use the phone and the cable box doesn't record more than 2 shows at a time...

I think Spectrum has a lower cost one.. or maybe it's gov't assisted....

16. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

Who carries DSL?
    The only providers in my area are WOW, Spectrum & AT&T.
    I think there is a few dish services but that is about it.

Thank you,

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226395

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice